Author Topic: Charles Johnstone  (Read 22320 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Johnstone
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 05:53 BST (UK) »
Who was Jack W C JOHNSTON (no 'e') as per NSW BDM online, birth registered 1906, Broken Hill. 

I am starting to ponder if there's two or more generations being confuddled one with the other .....   

Cheers,   JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Jack W C Johnstone was Archibald and Annie son. This was one of the times Archibald called himself John, looks like some one left the E out of Johnstone. Jack was 2 years older then my grandfather Bert.
Deb966  :)

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Winenhoe
If there is no birth record to find yet, where does this birth date come from... Answer: My uncle gave me Archibald birth and on the child birth records Archibald puts his OWN place of birth as  Wilcannia  NSW
About the use of name John / Archibald...when the name is on the birth certificate that you have, is the informant the father, or is it mother....ie...when he is naming himself is Archibald consistent with his name....and maybe other people such as wife are flexible with his name.......Answer, The informant is Archibald on the birth record that I have.

To the extent that you can see BDM certificates, does he always name himself Archibald?Answer No on a few of the childrens birth he puts his name as John. This is why I purchased the youngest child birth records to make sure I had all the brothers and sisters and the correct wife.
 :) Deb 966

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:18 BST (UK) »

Thanks for that information about the use of the names.

Can you please give the details on the death certificate that you have for Marion.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
Until WWI the registration process for births in NSW was basically driven by verbal answers to verbal questions.    So it is very possible that it is not Archibald who called himself John, (and vice versa) but rather the deputy registrars at Broken Hill who are writing the information in their local register, perhaps on verbal information from the person registering the births from 1903 to the mid 1920s  :)  So the inconsistencies should not be attributed to Archibald, unless you have already checked each birth registration, and of course that's an expensive option.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:24 BST (UK) »
This is why I purchased the youngest child birth records to make sure I had all the brothers and sisters and the correct wife.
 :) Deb 966

May I enquire how/where from/ you purchased the 1924 birth certificate? 

A birth certificate for one of his children in September 1924 he used Archibald. Also his divorce paper from Annie 1929 he was also Archibald.

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:44 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the 1924  Birth record which says its from a true copy of the entry in a register of birth kept at the district registrars office at Broken Hill, this Birth record was given out on the 31 August 1928. This is how old this copy is that I have.
 :) Deb966

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:47 BST (UK) »
1903 NSW ER BARRIER,
polling at Broken Hill North:-
Marian JOHNSTONE,  Argent St,  domestic duties
Jessie Charlotte JOHNSTONE, Blende St, domestic duties

Is this likely to be Marian, wife of Charles and Jessie wife of Charles Albert ..... so basically is this Marian the mother in law of Jessie?   

Reply # 11 Charles Albert was Charles and Marion's son, Charles Albert was 6 years older then Archibald, according to Marion death certificate

Thanks for explaining the Sept 1924 birth record. 

I have a copy of the 1924  Birth record which says its from a true copy of the entry in a register of birth kept at the district registrars office at Broken Hill, this Birth record was given out on the 31 August 1928. This is how old this copy is that I have.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 06:50 BST (UK) »
Was that 1928 document in the 1929 Divorce papers file ?  Likely needed for the NSW Supreme Court Action.   The mc should have also been there, and perhaps the birth certs for all the dependent children.   

Cheers,  JM