Author Topic: Parish Records Look Up for Spennymoor/Stockton  (Read 6571 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Look Up for Spennymoor/Stockton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 November 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted several relevant places to date without success. I have telephoned Bishop Auckland Registra and Durham as well as the archives there all without success.
Both Bishop Auckland and Durham and Stockton registras' all report no Thomas or John Kavanagh of any spelling for those dates.
This is definitely a mystery case. In once census record Thomas is said to have been born in Wrexham then in Spennymoor in the net census, I cannot find him in either after telephoning, e-mailing and writing to the relevant places - hence my confusion. This is why I was hoping to find John but again no luck.
I am beginning to think only an expert can solve this one as no one has been able to so far but it does prove an interesting case. Shame Miss Marple isn't around now or Jessica Fletcher, I sure could use their help.

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:35 GMT (UK) »
An 'expert' only has access to the same records & information that everyone else has so i'm not sure how helpful employing one would be.  If the records aren't there to be found then there's not much you can do about that.

Good luck with your searches.

Jay

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 November 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't meaning to employ anyone - couldn't afford that. I just meant it is such a mysterious case. How these people cannot be found is a big mystery and I have been searching for some years now.
I am going through churches' in the area and illuminating those that do not fit the right year or faith so see what is left then investigate those ones but I am getting stuck.
There are no records for them in 1861 that I have ever found so I am presuming they didn't come here until the middle to late 1860's as the 1871 census is the first record I can find. I have searched electoral rolls too and mining records at Durham as all three men were miners, father and two sons. not sure what else I can search apart from the churches.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 November 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Both Bishop Auckland and Durham and Stockton registras' all report no Thomas or John Kavanagh of any spelling for those dates.

But there is a Thomas Cavanagh born Stockton in 1864, which Tillypeg told you about. I have asked you about this a couple of times (replies #10, #14 and #16) but you haven't responded.

I gave you a link to an enquiry about him (see quote below) Have you tried it? There is no harm in at least asking.

Did you send for the birth certificate for Thomas Cavanagh mentioned by tillypeg in reply #5 of this thread?

If not you can make an enquiry about it to Stockton Register Office: tell them what you already know about 'your' Thomas (e.g. his father's name and occupation and his mother's christian name) and they might be able to tell you if this birth is a likely one.  https://www.stockton.gov.uk/Register-Office/Enquiry/births/51449

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 November 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
JenB, yes I phoned Stockton registras' and gave them the information I had from his marriage certificate which is only his father's name and occupation. I added the information on the 1871 and 1881 census too and the young man rang me back a few hours later and said there was no Cavanagh/Kavanagh or any other spelling of that name bon in Ferryhill in 1864.
I recall getting information about a Thomas Avanagh, the C having missed off for some reason but I cannot find that link again now and yes I recall telling them about that too but again they said no. It has been a while so maybe I could phone again. The even told me to phone Stockport where all the records are kept they told me and I did and I got the same answer - am I just unlucky and get the wrong people on the phone who either don't care or cannot be bothered to look things up properly? I have no idea but I did pursue the info. Will try to find Tillypeg's message again.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 November 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
there was no Cavanagh/Kavanagh or any other spelling of that name bon in Ferryhill in 1864.

I'm afraid I'm losing the plot here.

I thought John Kavanagh was born in Ferryhill in 1870?

Thomas Kavanagh was born in 1864. Are you now saying he was also born in Ferryhill? I though the census suggested he was born in Spennymoor?

I recall getting information about a Thomas Avanagh, the C having missed off for some reason but I cannot find that link .
Will try to find Tillypeg's message again.

Tillypeg's postings are on page 1 of this thread.

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 November 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
You are not loosing the plot. John was born 1870 Ferryhill while Thomas was, supposedly, born Spennymoor 1864. I say supposedly as one census has him born in Wrexham in 1864 while the 1881 census has him born in Spennymoor.
I cannot find them after 1881 however much I have looked.
I know this is a confusing case and I sometimes get lost too.
I found Tillypegs reply and I recall giving that info to the registras and it was still a no.

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I am to continue in this thread or start a new one but I am sure someone will be able to tell me if I am doing this wrong.
Had an e-mail about a Thomas Cavana born in Blaydon, no idea of year as I don't know how to read these census records as yet. As I cannot seem to attach the census record to show I can say that the census is numbered as RG11/4947 and it lists Thomas Cavana as a visitor with another Thomas listed underneath the first Thomas, however this second Thomas has no surname only ?nR written in place of surname.
This may throw a spanner in the works. I cannot look further as I do not know the date of this census to look up a birth - can anyone help please? This Thomas may be visiting an uncle or other relation.
This is the first time I have known of a Thomas Cavana born in this area. Since the census is in Lanchester and my Thomas was married there it may prove interesting if I can follow it up.
Thanks for any help.