Author Topic: Smyth, John Beveridge  (Read 17802 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Smyth, John Beveridge
« Reply #45 on: Monday 03 November 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a reason to go to Fremont County?
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~iabiog/fremont/f1881/f1881-riverton.htm

see the entry for Jane Buttercase
Jen
Edit: just adding the marriage for Jane Beveridge and Robert Buttercase -  Carnbee,Fife,Scotland ;)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTPS-in 851
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 03 November 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi William  :)

Good to have your comments here now.

Have to admit...I am stuck now  :P

My wish list now would be to find a birth cert for a Jean/Jane Smith c. 1878-9 to firm up parents...nearly 300 on SP for the whole of Scotland when I did a general search  :'( Robert, first born, we have nothing on so far apart from birth and 1871, that is it.

I think wife Isabel Methven may have died between 1895...1900. Can't really see her on the 1900. Iowa, unlike other states in the US, not so easy to research and view records online around this time...or at least my ignorance of vital record sources for then shines through  8)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 03 November 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen  :)

Thanks for the link. The forester/carpenter etc references certainly do look strong don't they for the area. Also connecting back too to Alexnder, brother of John. Alexander seems to have prospered with his carpentry business showing as a contractor and later agent (think real estate in Canada) in future years.

Wonder how Isabell with the children managed if John did go off to start a new life...

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought. Would Jane Smith's birth be most likely to have been registered in Banffshire or Fife? There are 10 Jane Smith births in Banffshire in 1878 - 79 and no Jeans. There are 15 Jane Smith births in Fife and one for a Jean Smith in those years. Which are the most likely parishes in those counties?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hard to say on where the family were in that period of the 1870s, William  :-\

We have them on the 1871 census as below:

John Smith 27, Forrester, b. Carnee Fife
Isabella Smith 30 Forresters Wife b. Cornback, fifeshire
David Smith 7
Thomas Smith 3
Elizbeth Smith 2

Address: Windmill, Collesie, Fife

Then no more children showing for them (but this is only on Family Search, which is not a 100% in terms of an index) until we potentially have another daughter Jane aged 18 months on that May 1880 shipping manifest.

We have JB, with references to him being a forester at Duff House, Banff in the period of c. 1878-79, from what GR2 and Snohomish have mentioned from references for him then.

That is it really in terms of place references so far. Robert, Thomas and Elizabeth all born in the Fife area from what we saw on IGI.

I take risks and gambles sometimes looking at SP entries online with research for people. Not something we can do here I would say given the names and the number of entries sadly...

Monica

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
You have been busy. :)   I had a look at a few options of Jane/Jean on Scotlands People but there are a lot of options.  The other three children were all born in different places.   I have been trying to find a marriage for one of the children in the USA naming their father - but no luck so far :-\

Kay

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »

Corrections and edits:

Something that was bugging me from yesterday and perfect proof why guesses are guesses until you verify through documents and actual sources...

I do not think the Alexander we have back in Scotland in 1881, married to Agnes and a carpenter by trade, is JB's brother. I noticed yesterday on the entries above for 1881 for Alexander that he had a brother George born in the mid 1860s in Ceres, Fife. We haven't come across a brother George for JB so far. 1871 that we had earlier, again below.

1871:
David Smith 55, Carter, b. Carnbee, Fife
Christine Smith 47 b. Newburn, Fife
Alexr Smith 15 b. Carnbee, Fife
Jean Smith 3 b. Carnbee, Fife...a late baby...https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPT-KJL
Address: Arncroach, Carnbee, Fife

I think the Alexander and brother George that we are discussing are the children of a George Smith and Margaret Brown:

Alexander 1855 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYF-54L
George 1866 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYB6-NQH

Co-incidence that their Alexander has same birth year and place as did JB's brother Alexander - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYF-54V. Maybe they were cousins  ;D

Also, the Alexander Smyth on the 1880 census that we also have, with Isabel and children staying with in Riverton, also showed as single...

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica - I've got a bug too  :)

Senario...Jane Buttercase - whom I take to be John and Alexander's aunt has lost hubbie and both her sons. Her daughters are both married to men with careers outwith of farming. So does she invite her nephews to help run the farm?  If John and Alexander both go out together in 1879 and Isabella arrives in 1880 why is John in Minnesota rather than Iowa in 1880? Like you mentioned before, the time between her arrival and the taking of the census is weeks rather than months. Plenty of work to do on a farm in May.

This next story is just strange....Smyth is a rather uncommon name in Scotland going by the census returns at least. Now there is one J B Smyth I found whose father is (very spookily) is a Clerk in the Government Printing Office.  This J B Smyth was born around 1850 and at 21 is still a scholar and a student so rather well educated - the type of person you'd expect to find writing scholarly articles don't you think.  However, this person is called Jane B Smyth!

Back to 61 and King Edward - only about 18 more pages to transcribe - yipeee!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
There are lots on angles to this story aren't they, which is why it is an interesting search.

Are you transcribing for FreeCen? Sounds like you are...clever you  :)

Monica