Author Topic: Smyth, John Beveridge  (Read 17803 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smyth, John Beveridge
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Monica - I think you are right about the Alexander who married Agnes Crosbie being the son of George and Margaret and it certainly solves the problem of the Alexander in USA having a child born while he was away in the US.

Kay

Online jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Not so clever just thought it would be good to give something back to the community given all the help I've had  :).

I wish I could get my hands on the writings of J B Smyth but unfortunately I can find nothing to read online :( I did read an interesting account of some of the artifacts  held at Duff House - that kind of wealth is almost unimaginable!
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Jen, I could only find one easy ref to content of JB's paper. This comes up toward the end of another long article and it is only a snippet from the original:

Forestry.

In his excellent paper on "The Comparative Return from Capital invested in Cropping, Grazing, or Planting Land upon Hill and Moorland," published in the Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society for 1878, Mr J. B. Smith says— "Again and again the cry comes to us across the Atlantic that the forest primeval is being recklessly demolished, and that in a few short years its timber producing wealth will be exhausted. At home, in these days of high wages (as compared with the social and political condition of the working classes even fifty years ago), when the ruling axioms should be, ' quick productions and quick returns,' these doubtless ought to form the basis of all profitable enterprises. Though many of our noblemen and gentry derive a good income from their plantations alone, for which they have their ancestors to thank, and though the home demand for timber, and foreign imports, are both still on the increase, we yet find them doing little or nothing for posterity in the way of planting."

www.electricscotland.com/agriculture/page64.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Finally caught up with our John Smith in print through the Scottish Arboricultural Society. Just had a quick look at v.7-8 1873-1878
https://archive.org/details/transactionsofsc78scot

In the list of members he starts out as John Smith, Windmill Cottages, Ladybank, Fife (his address on the 71 census)  :))
then the next year he's down as John B Smyth, Melville, Ladybank, Fife
By the time he writes his article on pruning (highly recommended for all you insomniacs out there) he's the forester at Duff House.

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Jen, thank you  :-* That is a direct hit to the 1871 entry! No need to wander any more in the wilderness of Smiths on BMD entries  ;D

Kay and I have obsessed on JB for a few days...you and William have joined us too, which is great  ;)

Snohomish...log back on soon. Lots has happened... :D

I am happy now  :) (as I continue working on up loading to flickr at the moment, with hiccups, driving me mad today :-\).

Monica

PS: I don't normally do so many smileys on a post as they get a bit OTT  :-X But, I am so happy with the way this search has gone!

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Jenny - Well found  ;D

Kay

Offline Snohomish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 06 November 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Kay 99, MonicaL, Jennywren001, and all others who have worked so hard to assist me in this adventure.  First of all, I want to apologize for plastering all those smiley's on your hard work.  I had no idea I was doing it and I appreciate the tact that was used in bringing it to my attention.  Thank you.

I have ordered John's death certificate through VitalChek.  I called them first due to some forceful displeasure expressed on a related website and I hope I haven't forfeited $42 for little results.  I have also ordered his Probate # and hope to obtain a copy of his will..that'll take some doing.

I am attaching a photo of a photo I took over ten years ago after relocating it.  It is of John, Hattie, Joe, Ed, and Victoria Clara Smyth (my grandmother)  The picture was taken in Washington, D.C. and although it's difficult to read it looks like it was taken at a "Howky" photo studio.  I have posted another photograph on RootsChat, Oct.25, as "Cook/McDonald Photograph? that was taken in Dundee before the turn of the Century and your research and the seemingly connections to Fife want me to believe that that photo is actually, John, brother, sister, and their mother. (It's so easy to jump to conclusions to meet the circumstances!)

The second attachment is from the Table of Contents  of TRANSACTIONS, Fourth Series, Volume X.
And, Jennywren001...the book is avaiable Free at http://books.google.com as a preservation project.
I had it printed by an Espresso Book Machine (www.ondemandbooks.com).  I tried to wade trhough
his article but just couldn't keep interested because of the complexity and the fictional dialogue.  It's a tough read Jennywren001! Maybe Jane B. Smyth co-wrote it...the little girl in the Dundee photo?  I think too, his inclination to use" Beveridge" is significant..it meant something special to him.   My Uncles changed their names to Smith from Smyth and I wish I knew what motivated them to do that---

I'm going to try to move the "Cook/Mcdonald?" to this location and it may open more doors or remove it and send it as an attachment to this file.

You've all worked your hearts out on this quest and, although I'll no longer inundate you with "smileys", I want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts.
Snohomish

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
It is always great to see photos of the people we have been discussing so thank you for adding that.
What did you think about the possibility of a first wife in the US with at least 3 children travelling with her? Lots to research there for you and your family hopefully.

Not sure whether you need anything further from this particular post in respect of where it is now at. Let us know if you need help going back further. Looks like you are ready to really start your Scottish research now...

Monica

PS: The 'smilieys' comment was meant for me not you  ::) ;) ;D 

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Great photograph - John certainly looks distinguished :)

Do come back if there are more issues

Kay