Author Topic: Place name  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Binky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Place name
« on: Friday 01 July 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me, please, whether there is a place name at Mold/Hawarden area, North Wales by the name of LLANDDEDOCH or LLANDIDOCH.

We know the family moved from the Hawarden area of North Wales to Pembrokeshire in 1804, and on a 1851 local census return in Pembrokeshire the birth place of my ancestral aunt is entered as this name, which I have only recently discovered.

Many thanks,

Binky

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Place name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Binky,

just had a look at the gazetteer:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geogdata/ngw/l.htm

there's nothing like that in the list. Neither of them are actually feasible (unless the name of a particularly obscure saints name - Dedoch or Tidoch).

they don't even bear resemblance to the Welsh names of Penarlag (for Hawarden) or Yr Wyddgrug (for Mold), nor any of the ancient townships that comprise these towns.

I think here your best bet would be to contact either Denbighshire Archives at Ruthin, or the Clwyd FHS.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Binky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 05 10:48 BST (UK) »

Hi D,

Many thanks for your message.  We now know for sure there is no such place name in North Wales, and certainties are always a big help when doing family research.

Best wishes,

Binky

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 05 15:56 BST (UK) »
There are places in Wales which your names could refer to but obviously they are not quite as you say and are not in the Flintshire area---Llanbedrgoch could be one but that is in Gwynedd;LLanbedrog,Gwynedd;etc.,etc.,etc..

Are you certain your aunt was born in Flintshire.Perhaps you could obtain a copy of the census entry and post it on Rootschat for Rootschatters to have a look and try to decpiher the writing.

Best of luck. :) :) :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".