Author Topic: Saccary Family- Nova Scotia  (Read 10028 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saccary Family- Nova Scotia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 October 14 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Double checked and Catherine Saccary died in 1942
address 86 Phalens Road, Glace Bay
burial in St. Anne's Cemetery

Cape Breton Post May 20, 2004
obituary
Margaret Saccary, age 85 b. 1919 Scotland, d. May 19, 2004, Glace Bay
predeceased by husband Joe in 1996

This may be your Joe but I haven't found an obituary as yet or burial.
The Cape Breton Library may be able to help you with an obituary for this Joe to see if it is the one you are looking for.

www.canada411.ca
is an online telephone directory that you may want to use at some point. Several Saccary's are listed for the Glace Bay area.

You may want to contact the catholic churches in Glace Bay to see if they may have records that aren't available on line. Also the funeral home in Glace Bay may also be able to help.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 October 14 08:09 GMT (UK) »
funeral homes

www.vjmcgillivray.ca
V. J. McGillivray Funeral Home

www.jmcurryfuneralhome.com/index.php
Curry's Funeral Home

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 October 14 08:44 GMT (UK) »
valeriec,
Thanks for that, i would have never found all those people with the name variations. I will order his marriage cert in order to find out the name of his father..
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 October 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Moses in 1911:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9R-3BDN

He's transcribed as SEEREY on A*try.
I do wonder if his wife Christena from the 1921 and wife Catherine are the same person.

Maureen

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 October 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Moses in 1911:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9R-3BDN

He's transcribed as SEEREY on A*try.
I do wonder if his wife Christena from the 1921 and wife Catherine are the same person.

Maureen

Maureen,
I have been comparing both the 1911 and 1921 census and yes the dates of birth are the same although the wife on 1921 is called Christina. I know for a fact that she was called Catherine because 'Mary' who is on both censuses being 2 and 12 has a birth record (1908) on ancestry listing moses as her father and Catherine McKinnon as her mother. Catherine's death (nee McKinnon) is in 1942 which lists Moses as her husband (also the informant of her death). So Christina cannot be his second wife but the same person as Catherine..

Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 October 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
That makes sense! :) :)

Well done.

Maureen

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 January 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an older thread, but ...In case you want to look further once you have found the patriarch, you might want to consider looking at this, as some Nfld. spelled it
The census all appear to say "English" heritage  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01em7/

Was thinking perhaps the surname was a misspell of Zacharie, but I looked for Saccary on the FHS site just for fun, and did find a pocket of the saccary spelling in early Kent England, ( a Sacary in 1642 Surry, a John Sacarie was christened 1582 Ightam Kent)  then I tried Sacrie and found many in various locations, although the very earliest were again in Kent with the odd one in Sussex.   Sakry, Sakre, Sacray, Secray, Sacrey, sacry, Sackry, Sakry, Sachree, Sackree, Seacre,  Seecree, Sacrye even a Soakrey & a Sicr...I may not have listed them all
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01em8/

There was even a marriage of a Saccary in Prussia mid 1700s and a few Sacary births in Galacia, early 19th century which could be the Zachary phonetics...So hard to say if the origins are French or ? ( Just also found some early 1800s  Prussian marriages with spelling Sacrè and Sacre' )

Looking at the U.K. FreeBMD you can find
Sacree, Sacry, Sacrey, Sacret, Sacret, Sacrit, Sacre, even with an accent SACRÉ.

It doesn't appear to be too common a name if these prove to be the same surname...  J.J.

adding:   The surname Sacre/Sacré in England gives a whole raft of results as well....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 January 15 03:03 GMT (UK) »
The book Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland says family history has two brothers coming from Jersey ( Channel Islands) to NFLD.  Family history not always being correct, but certainly feasible.
 https://books.google.ca/books?id=cdZCZ61xXNcC&pg=PA460

Valerie, Maureen & Ambly ...Good sleuthing in finding them by the way!

adding:
Hmmm, just found a John Sackorey b. Newfoundland in Halifax Nova Scotia 1891 but he's a decade older than yours, age 58  http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1891/jpg/30953_148116-00093.jpg

A marriage for a Moses Sacrey, perhaps an uncle... there is an Alice Sacrey as a wittness to a marriage ...
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891-registration-hbr-grace-rc-mar-1879-1889-hg.shtml

Alice died 1909 ( Abraham signed the return) and John in 1913, ages a bit off but they don't name parents.

so adding: at the death of an Abraham 1819 ( actual birthdate listed on site) father John & mother Alice Norket? both born NFLD although she says N.S on census if I recall and I often don't    ;D
I am wondering if this is Northcott...an Alice Northcott was witness to some marriages on that same page as Moses Sacrey's  and other Northcott & Sacrey witnessed each other's marriages.... www.novascotiagenealogy.com
He also says racial origins are Irish as do several other younger Saccarey
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline BSaccary

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
wow that's amazing, my name is Brittany Saccary my mom is Lillian saccary her brother is Joseph Adrian Saccary, their dad (my grandfather) is Stanley Joseph saccary, and his dad (my great grandfather) is moses Saccary !!! :D