Author Topic: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?  (Read 76467 times)

Offline nwill12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
It was on the photo of her from some source I can't readily remember but I'll find it . That aside though is there any mileage with the other 2 pictured with her ?

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I haven't looked at the others in the photo yet.  I like your theory of the photo's being posed. 

Offline nwill12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 03 March 16 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Adelaides pic and the one with her 2 friends are taken against white back drops , like a sheet hanging behind for instance. Adelaide is obviously in her best clothes and the hat I doubt she would have worn on a daily basis ! They are also out of sync with the other pics in the set as they were taken outside houses or in back yards. Just makes me wonder that they could have easily been taken anywhere and not necessarily Dorset st, so would seem that they are arranged poses , which in turn suggests she would have met Horace before!

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:51 BST (UK) »
At 1.25 on Wednesday 9th Oct 1907, Margaret Springett, flower seller, aged 45 was admitted to the Workhouse Infirmary suffering from Mania.  On the 11th Oct 1907 she was dead.  Her address is 31 Duval/Dorset St. and her husband, William John is homeless.  What appears to be her alternative next of kin is daug Margt c/o Mrs Boyes 53 Gun St.  Not sure of the Boyes name, could be Boyer, Bogel.  She had a daughter Margaret who died at birth many years earlier. Adelaide aged 14 was living at 53 Gun St. at the time.  Her Death Certificate has her cause of death as Sudden - Chronic Alcoholic and a post mortem required. Very sad end of a life of extreme poverty.

Offline nwill12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 16 April 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
Very odd for many reasons ! How is it known William was homeless and where was he at the time Adelaide and her mother were registered at Hanbury st workhouse in 1901  ? Adelaide could have been a servant at gun st but why give the name of your next of kin as your dead daughter but with a proper address ? Why go from a workhouse in Hanbury st just to a doss house at 31 Dorset st ? Given that Adelaide gave the Gun st address in 1915 when booking into the infirmary and in the 1911 census there were 3 large Jewish families living at that address and now someone else called Boyes as well. What was Adelaide doing there for 8 years plus ?

Offline Pau Pau

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 27 June 16 19:16 BST (UK) »

Sadly. The autor of the pics said in an interview that she died in 1905.
She looks exactly like my 10 uears old daughter.
It felt so sad.

Offline JumboTron

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 16 July 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As I'm sure many of you are - especially the original poster - I'm absolutely haunted by the picture of little Adelaide Springett. A beautiful young girl, born into poverty.

Does anyone know anymore about her please? From what I gather, she was married and lived in Chelsea until the grand old age of 91(?)

I know it sounds strange but for some reason I need to know that she lived a good and happy life after what she went through in her early years.

Does anyone know her final resting place please? I live in south London and I'd like to pay my respects, if that is at all possible.

Thanks very much for any information.

Offline nwill12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 06 August 16 07:35 BST (UK) »
We know that Adelaide was alive in 1915 , she checked into a workhouse infirmary ! We know at that time she lived at 53 Gun St.
We do not know when and where she died, we don't know if she got married and or had children or not. We don't know what happened to her father, whether he was around or not when her mother died.
I'm worried there doesn't appear to be a marriage record for her but then again not so worried as there doesn't appear to be a death certificate in the name of Springett either.
53 Gun St is the key I feel and maybe the next census will have her living there. But for now we have her as a 22 year old un-married woman  in 1915. So she didn't sign up for WW1 as a nurse or such like but must have been working doing something!
She checked into that infirmary with a skin condition brought on by filthy conditions ! This would suggest she probably was not in service as she would have access to washing facilities.
My guess is that she was doing a ' dirty' job and as it was WW1 maybe she worked in munitions factory or something.
The chances are at some stage she would have got married before she was 30, certainly by the middle of the 1920's . Find her married name, then the rest should be easily traceable !

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 06 August 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
Without reading back again through the 9 pages, do we have a date of birth? If so it could be checked against the 1939 register.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk