Author Topic: korean War British Memorial  (Read 534 times)

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
korean War British Memorial
« on: Tuesday 28 October 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thought I'd post this. We were lucky enough to go to South Korea and visit the National Memorial. I know that the list of Korean War casualties are available online but thought that folks might like to see the names in situ in Seoul.
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: korean War British Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bopsey

There is a rather nice one in West Lothian including tree planting representing the fallen. Also one next to Glasgow Cathedral. It is good to remind ourselves of this campaign as it sometimes is eclipsed by the WW's

http://visitwestlothian.co.uk/see-do/history-heritage/scottish-korean-war-memorial/

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: korean War British Memorial
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks bobsey
I'm sure you are right, it will be meaningful to many people.

Agreed deebel we here a lot about conflicts either side of the Korean war which should not be forgotten. Our family was fortunate not to have a name on the memorial but had to endure waiting hopefully for a loved one to return from a POW camp, thankfully  he did.