Author Topic: leadsdale  (Read 10336 times)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: leadsdale
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 November 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on mariners site but no sign of Leadsdale, but sent a message, so maybe they might have some record,fingers crossed.
Once again thank you all very much for your help, if I find out some more I will let you know.  Ll
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 November 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Did you follow up on the variations to the surname as mentioned in the following thread re your elusive chap?    And perhaps I could add "L" and "S" as capital letters, particularly at the beginning of a surname can frequently be mis-read for each other, when looking at long-hand writing.

Marriage May 1868 in the UK, with baby born in UK in March 1869, seems to have your William still in the UK in July 1868  :)

Cheers,  JM

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=603878.0
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM, I have tried all sorts of combinations of surnames but got nowhere. 
I did wonder if it was possible for William to have got back from Australia to Scotland in time to marry, not sure how long it took in those days.  1869 he was a steward on a sailing ship.

Or is this another unknown leadsdale, brother?  All very strange, the leadsdales appear like magic and disappear again. The other leadsdales also just appear on one census and thats all. The only one so far that we have been ableto follow was Rosie Leadsdale, who was registered as a Leadsdale but christened Rosie Williams.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 November 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I324375&tree=ID1

It has William Leadsdale as William Liddell living in Westoe, South Shields in 1881, with wife Mary Susannah, born Scotland. Son William Mark aged 12 and daughter Elizabeth Mary aged 5.
RG 11 / 5010/ 22/ 37

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenb, I can not thank you enough for that post, how did you find it ? Rootschat people are so amazing. It was a rootschatter who discovered that our Rosie Owen was registered as Rosie Leadsdale, without his help we would never have found her.Now we have so much more .What a character this William was, a conman and a bigamist. Now going to do some checking to make sure all the information is reliable.   Thank you very much and all the others who sent in information, I shall still try to find out who the leadsdale was who was in Australia.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 November 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenb, I can not thank you enough for that post, how did you find it ?

I 'googled' William Leadsdale + South Shields.

You need to check everything there very carefully. They have the marriage as taking place in South Shields, and you know that in fact it took place in Scotland.

The daughter Elizabeth's birth was in the 2nd q. 1875, not 1876. The South Tyneside registrar's site shows it was registered in Westoe District, which is where William was living in 1881.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 November 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I see from your other thread that you say

There is an entry for the post office to work in the mess in Wylan and Horsly I think this is 1873

I think in fact he was a messenger. Wylam and Horsley are in Northumberland.

There is this birth and death in Castle Ward RD Northumberland both in the 3rd q. 1873
Mary Jane Leadsdale birth 10b, 268, death 10b, 180.

Wylam & Horsley were actually in Hexham RD, but very close indeed to the boundary with Castle Ward RD.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 November 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi jenb,  I have started checking the information, but at least I have something to start with. Yes I notice the different marriage date, and had noted the birth and death of the baby MaryJane. It is odd I had tried googling W. Leadsdale but got nowhere, did not think to put S.Shields. Had been planning to send for a birth cert. To see if it said who the mother was. Interesting Ellen who went through a marriage ceremony did not. "remarry" until 81,
I had assumed the mess referred to a mess as William had been a steward.  I also wonder whether there were any more "wives and children ".Thank you once again.ll

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 November 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder if it was possible for William to have got back from Australia to Scotland in time to marry, not sure how long it took in those days.  1869 he was a steward on a sailing ship.

Here’s a ship that took 79 days from the Lizard  (often considered to be the last sighting of England for many in the 19th century) to Sydney, in 1868.   I haven’t looked for shipping out of Glasgow or other Scottish ports. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28422646 SMH 1 May 1868.

There’s plenty of shipping arrivals giving the number of days for the voyage from various UK ports noted in the newspapers that are freely available online at the following link. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

You can determine names of the ships arriving in 1868 (to help limit the search options at the Trove link, not just to 1868, but to names of vessels too) by using the mariners site and entering ‘1868’ .

The Suez Canal did not open until November 1869, so the voyages from England to New South Wales perhaps averaged around ten – twelve weeks or thereabouts depending if sailing under wind or steam power, or a combination of these.   Clippers  perhaps made it in about eight weeks.   Once in Sydney, there could be several weeks of unloading, obtaining new cargo, loading it, and passengers before setting out on the return voyage, back to England and perhaps intermediate ports along the way.

Marriage May 1868 in the UK, with baby born in UK in March 1869, seems to have your William still in the UK in July 1868  :)

So earliest possible sighting in NSW would be say September 1868, assuming he had already secured a crew position on a ship out of Scotland ...  And the mariners website seems to have listed most/all of the overseas arrivals into NSW for 1868.

Cheers,  JM     
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.