Author Topic: Help with naval uniform  (Read 962 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Help with naval uniform
« on: Sunday 02 November 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a photo of my grandfather.
He is obviously in some sort of naval uniform; can anyone offer any help as to where I can find anything about his records.
He is Frederick Smith, born 1884 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire. At the time of the WW1 he was living in Hull. He later went on to become a trawler fisherman.
I am assuming the photograph was taken about the time of WW1, but as I have no idea where to look, trying to find a Smith is proving impossible.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with naval uniform
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Definately ww1 era navy....been a trawlerman he may have been Royal Naval Reserve

Ill have a look at my cleckheaton records and see if i have him on any lists.

Cant see him on naval records with 1884 and Cleck as place of birth so if he was in the Trawler service his records are possibly at Yeovilton archives.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.
He didn't stay at Cleckheaton for long, so probably won't be on any records there. On his first census record (1891) he was already living with his family in Hull.
He was not at home at the time of the 1911 census, so maybe already at sea then.
You mention the Yeovilton Archives. I may be looking in the wrong place, but isn't that for the air force?
Thanks
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
http://www.fleetairarm.com/naval-aviation-research.aspx

Hi
Its Fleet Air Arm but they hold a lot of RN Archives.Staff were very helpful to me with a couple of records including a Trawlerman in RNR Trawler service from Cleckheaton.
closest i can see on the 11 census is Frederick smith 25 Bristol Rd East Southsea (Portsmouth) Royal Navy Armourers Crew...

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I got in touch with Yeovilton Archives with my minimal information and the 'Smith' surname asking if there was any chance of discovering further information.
Within the hour I was contacted by a volunteer who, not only found that my grandfather enrolled as a trimmer in the trawler section of the RNR, but that he had found and was posting out to me, a copy of his original record of service!!
What service.
And thanks again to Ady; I would never have known where to look.

Gill

PS, Forgive my ignorance, but one more question. What was a 'trimmer'?

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
From great war forum.

A trimmer ensured that the coal was evenly distributed when used, so that the trim of the ship was not adversely affected, and also that the firemen never ran short of coal for the boilers. Their main equipment were shovels, wheelbarrows and brute strength. Imagine pushing a wheel barrow along narrow trackways in the pitch and roll of a lively sea shift after shift. Without trimmers the boilers would not operate, not a very lowly job. The engine room crews regarded themselves as a cut above the rest of the crew.

In the Royal Navy Stokers combined the roles of trimmer and fireman. In the RNR trimmer is usually a member of one of the Trawler Sections. If you have his service number the service cards are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, microfiche copies are at Kew.

Glad you had a result ....

Ady

Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to say another thank you to all those that helped with the discovery of my grandfathers RNR service.
I have only just had time to research the information I discovered on his service records and I have discovered lots of interesting facts.
The only sad part is that I have gained all this information too late to inform my father, who would have been greatly interested. He gave me the photograph and said he vaguely remembers his father telling him of a battle off Scarborough, but he really dismissed the information as being an 'embellished' story a father might tell his young son. It has almost proved to be correct; whilst on the trawler 'Passing', clearing mines off Scarborough, the ship was mined and mentioned in an Admiralty memo issued 19th Feb 1915.
He last saw his father, when in his teens. My father had no idea when or where he died. I have been trying to find out this information for over a decade! One of these days something will crop up. It took me almost as long to find out who HIS father married, but I did it in the end!! (Turned out this John Smith married Hannah would also had the surname Smith after marrying Johns brother first!!)
Oh, for an unusual surname.

Thanks again for the personal help and for this fantastic site that has helped me so much in the past.
Gill