Author Topic: Augusta Caroline Maria King(nee George) 24 may 1855-  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Augusta Caroline Maria King(nee George) 24 may 1855-
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Only hint that Charles and Augusta were in fact married is on the son Charles Merrit Cottle and Florence Cottles birth certificates where it is stated that mother is Augusta Caroline minnie Cottle nee George.So it appears that maybe they were married but not proven as yet either way.
Just to confuse us -Lena George moss nee King born 29 dec 1890 in Claphan London ( Augusta's daughter) when she died on 12 aug 1973 in Auckland New Zealand listed her mother as Caroline Augusta Minnie King nee Cochran. This has to be an error,she was my grandmother and all our photos and records says maiden name is George

Experience shows that many people claim to be married when not on official documents, for the sake of appearances.

I wonder if Cochran is a misremembering of the Cottle name that appeared in the family history at one point

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Only hint that Charles and Augusta were in fact married is on the son Charles Merrit Cottle and Florence Cottles birth certificates where it is stated that mother is Augusta Caroline minnie Cottle nee George.

The birth certificate only says what the informant has told the registrar. In the case of Florence the informant was not one of the parents. Neither the informant or her husband were born anywhere near St Mawes, Cornwall or Tiverton, so I do not think they were relatives. The informant would either believe what she was told about the parents and their status and about the child's birthdate or collude with the misinformation.  A birth must be registered within 42 days of the event. It is normally registered by one or both of the parents. If they are unable to do so (usually only medical reasons or absent father would prevent this), then there are certain other people permitted to register the birth, one being someone present at the birth. This birth was apparently registered on the last day allowable by someone who was not the parent, but claimed to be present at the birth. I would be very very suspicious of anything it said.

As for death cert, Lena wouldn't have said what her mother's maiden name was, she had died. It would be next of kin, someone present at death etc. I wouldn't expect an informant on a death cert to deliberately give false information (unlike birth and marriage cert), but they might easily give incorrect information due to ignorance of the truth.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
thank u for the heads up-just a newbe, but love the mystery,the detective work so to speak.Starting to realise from the other posts that you have to read all of the certificate, a lot of info is there if you can see it.Will get better with advise from veterans such as yourself.
Thank you

Offline arkvision

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 March 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Caroline Maria August King was my paternal great grandmother, born on May 24, 1855. She died on August 12, 1935 and is buried in London, England at Islington Cemetery, East Finchley, Church Ground, Grave No. 22617, Section M, according to a death card I have a Xeroxed copy of. My paternal grandfather was originally named Charles George Merritt Cottle. He had a sister named Florence who I believe married a man with the last name of Moss. I believe he also had a sister named Edna and another sister named Lena. His birth father was Charles Cottle, born around 1826, I think. I was told that Charles Cottle died and when Charles G. M. King was about 7 or 9 years old, his mother Caroline married her second husband and his name was Henry King. Henry adopted Charles G. M. Cottle and his name was changed to Charles George Merritt King. Charles King married Ruth Warnock in Chicago, IL in 1916 or 1917. Charles died in Geneva, Illinois, USA on June 6, 1958. They had two sons, Merritt Austin King (born 12/2/1918) and Wesley Robert King. Merritt King was my father. He died at age 93 in Geneva, Illinois on 1/25/2012. His brother Wesley King died in Tucson, Arizona, USA on 6/21/2014 at age 93.

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 May 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Arkvision
Thank you so much for that info.My Paternal grandmother was Lena George  Moss (nee King) 1890-1973, the daughter of Henry King and Augusta.
I have a birth certificate for Augusta and Charles G M Cottle, also Henry King.I also have the marriage certificate for Augusta's Mother and father-Jane Legge and Charles james George.
I would like a copy any certificates you may have on this line,and of course can provide what i have.

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 May 15 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Arkvision
certs attached
click on image and rt click choose save as

Documents removed to prevent breaches of copyright

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 May 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Bethia Parker/Cottle was calling herself a widow in 1881 despite the fact that her husband Charles appears to have been living as a lodger in London and indicating he was married. She was still alive in 1901.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 May 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobelw
Was Bethia Parker the wife of Charles Cottle,father to Charles G. M. Cottle??.Wasn't clear in post.
Peter

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 May 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
My answer followed on from posts 17 and 20 and yes all the evidence points to Charles Cottle, accountant,  born 1826, being the husband of Bethia nee Parker.
I also had a look for the wife of Henry King who is shown as married in the 1891 census entry in which he appears with Caroline George. In 1881 there is a Henry King, Baker, age 24 born Tiverton Devon with wife Kate age 33 born Eastfield Peterborough,Northants living in Battersea.In 1891 Kate ( now declaring her correct age of 47) is on her own with three children in Lambeth but says she is married. Her place of birth is Eastfield, Northants. The children are Kate E age 10 born Battersea, Henry F age 9 born Balham and John age 4 born Lambeth. Ancestry has the baptisms of two of the children on 29 August 1883 - Henry Freear King and Kate Elizabeth King. Father Henry was a Baker and they were living at 73 Zennon Road. By 1901 Kate age 57 was living in Lambeth with the children and claiming to be a widow. They all disappear after that. I believe Kate is the Kate Frear born in Peterborough in 1843 ( from Henry's middle name). Her Dec 1843 baptism on Ancestry says she was the daughter of Henry Freear,farmer, Eastfield and Elizabeth. Can't find any marriage for her.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)