Author Topic: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification William.

I should have not been so vague with my comment about the 1861 census. I meant it odd that the family appears to have been in Ireland up until 1853 for the birth of John, then in Scotland for the birth of Margaret in 1855, and then back in Ireland for the birth of Jane in 1859. But I do understand that all may not be as it seems, but Margaret's birthplace of Old Kilpatrick is fairly specific.

And yes, the two Samuel's - it seems as though Samuel 1861 is the child of Samuel and Mary Campbell, and Samuel 1871 is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Wilson, but I need to go back over it all as I think I might be missing something.

Thanks for the help and the additional information about Samuel's drowning.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 05:23 GMT (UK) »
I have just noticed an error in my interpretation of Samuel Hendrie's second wife's name on his d/c. The image is very poor and I read her surname as Rilson. Of course now I realise that it is Wilson.  ::)

So the marriage and children for Samuel Hendrie and Elizabeth Wilson look to be correct.  :)

Thank you all again.

Added: I purchased the Hendry/Wilson m/c to confirm his parent's names and they are the same as on the Samuel's d/c -: Samuel Hendry and Peggy McCook.

I am wondering if it is worth looking for Samuel snr and Peggy in Scotland as perhaps the whole family emigrated from Ireland to Scotland ...  :-\

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
Were Samuel's parents recorded as deceased on his marriage reg to Elizabeth Wilson?

Regarding the Samuel born 1861 to Mary and the Samuel born 1871 to Elizabeth, I would suspect first Samuel has died. However   :-\ I can't yet find a death on SP.

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a Samuel Hendry with no age recorded in 1862 at Hoytown, Lanarshire  which is not far from Coatbridge.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Samuel born 1861 to Mary and the Samuel born 1871 to Elizabeth, I would suspect first Samuel has died. However   :-\ I can't yet find a death on SP.

Maybe he died in Ireland?

What about this, from GRONI online marriage index
M/1848/K1/1070/1/98    Samuel Henry    Campbell    21st July 1848    Coleraine
M/1848/K1/1070/1/98    Mary Campbell    Henry    21st July 1848    Coleraine

If you go there https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ and buy some credits, you will be able to get an image of the marriage certificate. It won't be as informative as a Scottish one, but it will tell you the names of their fathers.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
That looks  a possibility Forfarian . and thanks for the link to the GRONI site .
This must be a fairly new site - I took a summer break from Family History (to concentrate on my real family) and I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that site exsisted  :-[

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
This must be a fairly new site

Yes, it's only been up and running for a few months.

Marriages start in 1845, births and deaths not until 1864, and there are the usual sort of restrictions on more recent records.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Were Samuel's parents recorded as deceased on his marriage reg to Elizabeth Wilson?

Yes Looby - Samuel's parents were dead when he married Elizabeth in 1869.

Thanks for looking Looby. Like Forfarian I did wonder if some of the events took place in Ireland which may be why we can't find them in Scotland. :-\

Thank you Forfarian, I will look at buying some Groni credits. It has been a long while since I looked at any Irish records but I dipped into a couple (unsuccessfully) today. That marriage certainly looks promising.  :)

I also entered the surnames Hendrie/Hendry/Henry into the Irish 1910 census just to get a feel for where the family may have originated and the majority seem to come from Antrim, which fits in with the Coleraine marriage I think. So, I'm feeling quite positive and very grateful - thank you Forfarian.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
What about this, from GRONI online marriage index
M/1848/K1/1070/1/98    Samuel Henry    Campbell    21st July 1848    Coleraine
M/1848/K1/1070/1/98    Mary Campbell    Henry    21st July 1848    Coleraine

Are you able to offer any hints or tips please Forfarian?

I have registered with Groni.

How were you able to search (presumably without using any credits?) and get the results you did?

It is not very clear how many credits are required to view a record. A credit costs 40p but what can I see for 40p? How many credits would I need to view that marriage certificate for example? Help please ....  :P

Added: I think I have worked out that you must have had some credits Forfarian which is why you were able to do this search? I did not find the information I needed on the GRONI site, but elsewhere on the internet ... Still can't see anywhere that tells me how many credits I will need to view a certificate. I will just spend 40p in order to do some searching and buy more credits later.  :)