Author Topic: Old Wooden Chest - RIC / IRA??  (Read 13509 times)

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Wooden Chest - RIC / IRA??
« on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching my great grandfather who we believe was either in the RIC or Old IRA. We are more inclined towards IRA or the like. I have attached an image of a wooden chest which is believed to have some connection to whatever organisation he was a member off. Does the attached chest have any familiarities about it that maybe someone recognises? Perhaps it is just an old wooden chest that he bought and put his name on. However the story is is that this chest was at the end of his bed wherever he was .........based / training......... who knows.
I have searched RIC and Old IRA records and nothing comes up for him.
Did people ever change there names when joining these organisations back in the day?

Hopefully someone will see this picture and say "that is an old RIC chest or IRA chest"..............

Fingers crossed!
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Old Wooden Chest - RIC / IRA??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Do you want or have you already had help trying to find his background ?

Tara
Hi,
Apart from his obituary I do not know anything about his background apart from life events. He was apparently a very private man and did not give away details of his past.
If you think you can help filling in any blanks we have I would be grateful of the help.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I would love to be able to help if I can !

So, shall we start with ~

His name, approx year of birth and place of birth ?

Tara

Patrick Cleary born 1881, Powerstown, Clonmel, Tipperary

This is him in 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Inishlounaght/Chancellorstown_Upper/908625/
And 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Clonmel_Rural/Ardgeeha_Lower/1709975/

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know. I'm 99% sure he was not a member of the RIC, I was jut giving it as an option really..

From his obituary
"led the volunteer branch in Clerihan and was responsible for the training of several hundred men. His residence was subjected to a number of raids by Black and Tan forces and his house had been the venue for sittings of the Republican courts"

He was supposed to have gone to Dublin for a time also (verified by his daughter) and was in Dublin for the visit of King George V in July 1911, this is what he said.

There's not much else really!

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Would defo appear to have an allegiance to the Old IRA based on this !

Whether he was more involved or just assisted though is still to be seen !

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1116.pdf

Tara

Yes, I have seen that. When they came out I was hoping he would be in it but alais that's all.
I have contacted the IRA pension board and he did not claim a pension. No record of him.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused  ;D

Is this you where the RIC is defo mentioned ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68930636

Tara

! Wow, 2011. That's how long I have dipped in and out re. This man. I must ask my uncle about the wallet I mentioned in that post.

The archives searched the pension records I believe. They were very nice, even ringing me.

'as Gaeilge' - perhaps, never thought of that.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I'm wrong But would an Old IRA man go all way (and it's a LONG way  :o) from Tipperary to Dublin to see the King  ???

No, not for the King. He went to Dublin for a few years. This is what his daughter says. She is still alive but knows nothing really of his young life.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Would republicans/IRA have had an involvement that day in Dublin in 1911?

I'm afraid I have nothing else but old memorises to work with!

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
When I used the word 'guard'. I do not mean literally (I think!). The way it was told to me was that he was there somewhere on the road as the King passed. In what capacity I do not know, but it was inferred that he was on 'duty' of some sort. Would an IRA man be on duty in Dublin along the streets the King passed.......I have no idea.
The wooden chest, which HE said was kept at the end of his bed.... he didn't go to college or anything like that so I can only presume it was given to him in this place he was staying.... in Dublin maybe.
If someone was able to confirm something about the chest, it may answer a whole lots of question.