Author Topic: Blyth Market Place Messerschmitt January 1941  (Read 6050 times)

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Market Place Messerschmitt January 1941
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 August 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
The exact photo in the first post is in the Newcastle Journal dated Tuesday, January 28th 1941.  It is showing on the front page.  Under the photo is the writing 'Unloading a German Messerschmitt 'plane shot down over this country, at Blyth Market Place yesterday, for exhibition in connection with the town's War Weapons Week.'

Also, on page 6 of the same newspaper:

'BOMBS ON NORTH-EAST DO LITTLE DAMAGE
After London had completed a week of raid-free nights, with only very slight activity in other parts of Britain, enemy planes were reported yesterday in the vicinity of points in North East England, East Anglia, the East Midlands and East Scotland.  One of the raiders was shot down in the afternoon.
Several bombs were dropped on a North-East Coast town early in the morning causing little damage but seriously injuring a few persons, before the raider was chased out to sea by British planes.
The enemy, flying very low also machine-gunned another North-East Coast town but caused no injury or damage.
The plane shot down was a JU 88 which ranged over a large part of East Britain in the afternoon, dropping bombs which killed several people in an East Coast town and damaging some buildings.
It was shot down by anti-air-craft fire as it made for home, crashed near the coast and burnt out. 
The crew of four were captured.'

I know zilch about planes but I wonder if the plane referred to on page 6 is the one showing on the front page and also on the first post of this thread.  They are definitely the same photo but the one on this thread is by far better quality than the newspaper one.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ColourByRJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Market Place Messerschmitt January 1941
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 August 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all thanks for reply, I’m not after information on this photo, I was after the second photo referred to in a letter from Gordon, I have spoken to him today and he has send me the photo so thanks to all that took a look in and answered.

I have what I need now,

Thank you all.

Rich.