Author Topic: Baptism in Denby?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism in Denby?
« on: Friday 07 November 14 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone who has access to the Denby baptisms might see if there's an Elizabeth PARKIN, father Benjamin PARKIN, baptised between 1842 and 1845 in Denby.  There are many Ancestry trees that have this lady's parents as Benjamin ANNABLE and Ellen PARKIN, but her 1875 marriage certificate which arrived today definitely has her father as Benjamin PARKIN, labourer.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in Denby?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 14 07:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism of an Elizabeth Parkin in 1845 in Denby with mother listed as Ellen Parkin but no father. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYL6-1YM

As her mother Ellen married Benjamin in 1846 Benjamin Annable would have been the only father she knew and quite possibly when the vicar asked her father's name at the time of her marriage Elizabeth just answered Benjamin?

Kay

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism of an Elizabeth Parkin in 1845 in Denby with mother listed as Ellen Parkin but no father. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYL6-1YM

As her mother Ellen married Benjamin in 1846 Benjamin Annable would have been the only father she knew and quite possibly when the vicar asked her father's name at the time of her marriage Elizabeth just answered Benjamin?

Kay

Except at each Census from 1851 onwards Ellen and all the children (including Elizabeth) are called ANNABLE.  Why would Elizabeth (who I haven't found yet on the 1861 Census) suddenly revert to PARKIN at her wedding?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth was born in pre Benjamin and Ellen's marriage in 1846 and therefore her surname was her mother's maiden name.   She was probably just listed as Annable in the census with her other sibings/halfsiblings.   

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry to check I should have asked who she married in 1875?  Do you mean the Elizabeth Parkin mentioned in your other thread?? Grandchild  of Martha Parkin  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=704573.msg5475256#msg5475256

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
If she married Joseph Taylor who was lodging with her and her grandmother Martha Parkin in 1871 then this is presumably Elizabeth in 1881  Living at Platts Common Hanshaw Terrace Barnsley with boarder Ben Anable - Elizabeth's half brother  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBXZ-WZF

Ties in well with Elizabeth having been brought up as Elizabeth Anable and reverting to Parkin when she moved back in with her grandmother Martha Parkin

Joseph Taylor 46
Elizabeth Taylor    37 b Derbyshire
Stephen Taylor 18
Ellen Taylor 13
Mary Taylor 12
John Taylor 10
Thomas Taylor 8
William Taylor 6
James Taylor 4
Eliza Taylor 2
Job Taylor    
Benjamin Anable 18  Lodger b Denby Derbyshire

Kay

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 November 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
If she married Joseph Taylor who was lodging with her and her grandmother Martha Parkin in 1871 then this is presumably Elizabeth in 1881  Living at Platts Common Hanshaw Terrace Barnsley with boarder Ben Anable - Elizabeth's half brother  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBXZ-WZF

Ties in well with Elizabeth having been brought up as Elizabeth Anable and reverting to Parkin when she moved back in with her grandmother Martha Parkin

Joseph Taylor 46
Elizabeth Taylor    37 b Derbyshire
Stephen Taylor 18
Ellen Taylor 13
Mary Taylor 12
John Taylor 10
Thomas Taylor 8
William Taylor 6
James Taylor 4
Eliza Taylor 2
Job Taylor    
Benjamin Anable 18  Lodger b Denby Derbyshire

Kay

Kay

Yes that's the same family.  I started a separate thread to try and isolate one particular fact I wanted clarification on-ie whether there is Benjamin PARKIN marrying an Ellen in the Denby area around 1844/45.  (I have long thought the ANABLE connection is correct, but wanted to rule out the more obvious before going down that track.  And the MC I received yesterday with the PARKIN surnames threw me a bit.)

The problem is working out who are the father/s of this blended (?) family.  John PARKIN/TAYLOR  b 1870 is my 1g grandfather and hence my main focus.  He was 8 months old at the 1871 census.  But is his father Joseph TAYLOR the lodger, or another man?  When did Joseph and Elizabeth start getting cosy?  I don't think he could possibly be responsible for all Elizabeth's children.  The oldest (Stephen) was born around 1862/63 in Denby, twenty-odd miles from where Joseph TAYLOR was sighted in the 1861 Census-when he was still a married man.

And of course there's no certainty that Benjamin ANNABLE was Elizabeth's natural father.  If he was, why wouldn't he have married her mother Ellen before Elizabeth was born? ???

I might try a separate post to see if anyone has access to Bastardry cases in the area around that time.

Many thanks everyone for your continuing assistance.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 November 14 03:53 GMT (UK) »
It bit more circumstantial evidence..Benjamin ANABLE (23) is living two doors up from 15 year old Ellen PARKIN in the 1841 Denby census.  (HO 107/188/12)

So he certainly had the opportunity!

I wonder if the reason they didn't get married until 1846, when she was nearly 21, was that her family opposed the marriage?  Was 21 the age of self determination in those days?  Maybe they gave in in order to have her grand daughter Mary (christened 6 Sept 1846) born in wedlock (marriage 18 May 1846).

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 November 14 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Based on the 1841 census it does look probable that Benjamin was Elizabeth's father.   Marriage until 21 required parental consent until fairly recently  http://www.gwoodward.co.uk/guides/marriages.htm

Kay