Author Topic: 1901 census200 Faubourg St. Denis, Paris  (Read 816 times)

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1901 census200 Faubourg St. Denis, Paris
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I have a 1st cousin three times removed who intrigues me. Ethel Maud Mackavoy was born in 1878 in Southsea, Hampshire.
As far as I know she did not marry. In 1881 she was living with her parents in Portsea , in 1891 she was visiting her sister Alice and family in Plumstead aged 13. I have not found her in 1901 and so I do not know what her occupation was. On  2 March 1908 at 200 Faubourg St. Denis, Paris, France she died. Why did she die here, it appears to be a hospital today for elderly, psychiatric patients, toxicology and rehabilitation. Sometimes her surname is spelt without the K, it would be good to find the 1901 census to see why she might have gone to Paris maybe as a nurse or maybe as a patient?
Regards from Quester

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census200 Faubourg St. Denis, Paris
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how you get it but the French death certificate would probably show cause of death and occupation which would help.

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miw,
Yes, you are right, that seems a good idea, thanks.
Regards Quester

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
French death certificates do not list cause of death. To get a copy of a 1908 death certificate you would need to contact the Mairie (I believe in this case it would b the 10th arrondissement given the hospital address - there is no one central office for Paris bmds).

http://www.mairie10.paris.fr/mairie10/jsp/site/Portal.jsp
 - go to "Nous Contacter", and under "This mail is addressed to " choose "etat civil", if you want the death record. It may not have much additional info, though - especially if the death was simply registered by somebody at the hospital.  Parents names are usually listed if the informant knew them.

As far as I can tell the hospital at the time was simply a "public assistance" (charitable) hospital.  So we can't really guess what the reason was, but it does suggest she was not a lady of means.

Their archives are here:
http://archives.aphp.fr/recherche-genealogique/
It seems that access to actual medical records are restricted to those over 120 years, however they may be able to provide information on her death (including reason for death).  Under "Renseignements pratiques" it gives the address to write to (or click "formulaire" to fill in online).  They want some proof of who you are (scan of passport or other ID), information about how you are related to her, and reason for asking - I think given that the death is over 100 years ago, they will not be overly strict with you, but sometimes saying "researching family medical history" opens more doors than just "genealogy".

I am not sure of the cost (there will be a cost, I would think), but it would be worth at least contacting them to see what you get back.  This route is more likely to give you some information on her cause of death, and possibly how long she was in the hospital.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
Thank you so much for all of this information. It has certainly given me a lot to think about. I am really grateful for such expertise. :)
Regards Quester