Author Topic: Private Wigan Fletcher 7940, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards  (Read 428 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Private Wigan Fletcher 7940, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Wigan Fletcher was born in Fletchertown, Cumberland in 1888, son of Irving Fletcher and his wife Grace (nee Beaty). In the mid 1890's the family moved and settled at New Shildon, Durham, where Wigan's father Irving was a Coal Miner.

Sadly when Wigan was 14 his mother Grace died, and four years later aged 18 his father Irving passed away.

In 1911 Wigan was listed in the Army, at the Victoria Barracks, Victoria Street, Windsor, Berkshire in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards.

Apart from what I have listed above I know very little (so if anyone can help I would be much appreciated!).

Sadly Wigan was killed in action in France/Flanders on March 4th 1917 aged 28 years of age. From what records I do have of him he enlisted at Bishop Auckland, Durham. He was a member of the local Methodist Church Choir and his name appears on the War Memorial at Shildon.

His brother Brough Fletcher (1893 - 1972) later became a footballer and was Player/Manager of Barnsley Football Club for a number of years.

Sadly I have no photos of Wigan, only information that I have found out about him. If anyone can help with any photos of the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards up to 1917 I would be very grateful, or any information about Wigan at all. His birth was actually registered as Wiggin Beaty Fletcher, Jan - Mar 1889 at Wigton District, Cumberland.

With much thanks and love to a great-great Uncle for his bravery and the sacrifices he made.