Author Topic: Help with a McCall family in Glasgow as of 1857  (Read 12736 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a McCall family in Glasgow as of 1857
« Reply #36 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Could Juda be Judith? Or Judy?

I still find the co-incidence of the Patrick and Mary (Hughes) McCall having children and living at Dixons Square Finnieston Street intriguing.
Added - this address is the place of birth for the Patrick born to Patrick and Juda McCall
I wonder if Juda and Patrick were not married??
Could little Patrick be somwhere on 1861 with his mother or grandparentS ??

Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
OK, this is a snip from that death in 1859. The address is 16 Dixon Square, where Patrick was showing as born in June 1857.

However, this is for a 3yr old Patrick, son of Patrick McColl and Mary Hughes. Died of worm fever (sound awful, won't google) and buried at the RC cemetery of Dalbeth.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Aww the wee soul !  :(

The couple John and Mary McCall (m.s. Hughes ) I found on the 1851 are also having McCall children throughout the 1850s and 60s including a Patrick in 1863  ::).
Wonder if the brother Patrick aged 24 Foundry worker is the Patrick married to another Mary Hughes?

Looby :)

Offline davidlstern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 14 November 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all again! It has been a long mystery for me, and additional sleuths are most appreciated

Unfortunately Patrick John's second marriage was in Sheffield in 1908, so the certificate will not help much.

Juda is a name that appears in Ireland, but I think the odds of both her first name and her maiden name (McCall) being correct are small. I am intrigued by the idea that they may not have been married, and the McCall as her maiden name could have been a cover....

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi david ,

Patrick and Juda not being married is a possibility and you are right McCall could have been given as her maiden name when it wasn't.
Maybe I've watched too many soap operas in my youth (hate them all now!), but I'm wondering if Patrick McCall married to Mary Hughes and living at Dixon Court strayed from home :-X  . It's just strange that the address for the birth of Patrick and Mary matches young Patrick's birth address.

Then again maybe there were 2 Patrick McCall's , labourers in the area....not impossible. 

Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
On the issue of the address of 16 Dixon Square, I would think this housed many households. I say that because on the 1861 census I cannot see 16 Dixon Square coming up as an address but at 'Dixons Square,182 Finnieston St, Glasgow' which Annep mentioned earlier, in 1861, there are over 200+ entries showing (I stopped counting!). As we know with Scottish addresses in the big cities at that time, you need to undestand the naming and the sense of the numbering to make any sense of them.

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 14 November 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Oops sorry, I think I misunderstood , I thought the address for the 1861 McCall family was 16 Dixon Square  :-[

So what we know is:
 Patrick born to Patrick and Juda (m/s McCall) McCall is born in Jun 1857 at 16 Dixon Court.
 Patrick born to Patrick and Mary (m/s Hughes) McCall dies in 1859  at 16 Dixon Court.
But 16 Dixon Court could cover a whole tenement block. 

Patrick McCall born 1857 cannot be found on 1861 Census.
It's a bit of a mystery.

Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 14 November 14 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am going to throw this in there, otherwise I will loose it all.

I have never come across a Juda at all in Scottish research...so big stand out for me at least on that name. My bible on first names and variants, www.whatsinaname.net, shows nothing at all  :-\

We have Juda McCall showing as Patrick's mother in Anderston in June 1857.

I have found this entry for a birth of an Elizabeth Murray in Anderston in 1859 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQWG-NB8 father a William Murray and mother a Judan McCabe.

For 1861, I think this might be Judan McCabe: Criminal prisoner, occupation in a Cotton Mill. Aged 20 and born in Glasgow. Entry shows at North Prison, Glasgow Inner High.

This entry showing also in 1861:

William Murray 21 General Lab b. Glasgow
Elizabeth Murray 1 Lodger's daughter b. Glasgow
Address: 125 Main St Back Land, Anderston, Glasgow

Daughter Elizabeth Knox reported her mother's death in 1912:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 14 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
National Records of Scotland http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx show:

1861: Precognition against Margaret Russell, Jude Ann McCabe for the crime of theft at Main Street, Anderston, Glasgow.

Accused: Margaret Russell, wife of Hugh Russell, boatyard worker, m.s. Martin, Age: 21, Address: Stobcross Street, Anderston, Glasgow
Jude Ann McCabe, Address: Stobcross Street, Anderston, Glasgow

And further documents:

Accused Jude Ann McCabe, Verdict: Not proven, Sentence: Assoilzied simpliciter and dismissed. Note: The Advocate Depute withdrew the fourth and fifth charges.

Guessing she must have been in prison awaiting trial whilst the 1861 census was taken given the dates around April 1861 (7th of April for 1861).

No idea if this is the Juda McCall we have for Patrick's birth a couple of years earlier in 1857 in the same area of Anderston...but the closest I have seen so far to a name so destinctive.

Monica