Author Topic: Help with London geography please?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Help with London geography please?
« on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the birth of Kate Louise Pearce. She married Robert Lyall Guthrie in Hastings in 1905 and died in Surrey in 1947, age given as 83.

The 1911 census gives her age as 41 and birthplace Highbury. There is a Kate L Pearce, millinery saleswoman, 33, born Highbury, in the 1901 census in Fulham.

In 1891 there is a Kate L Pearce, millinery buyer, 25, born Clerkenwell, with her parents Thomas and Sarah in Lambeth. This family was in Southwark in 1881, and Kate was 15. I have yet to find her in 1871.

The birth of a Kate Louisa/e Pearce was registered in Clerkenwell 1865/Q4/1b/633.

I'm very unsure about where many of the areas of London are, but I vaguely thought that Clerkenwell is sort of south and Highbury sort of north.

Are all these records the same Kate Louisa Pearce, or are they two different people?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Help with London geography please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Both places are north of the river and just over 2 miles apart; Highbury being north of Clerkenwell.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Do they overlap at all? Or to put it another way, could someone whose birth was registered in Clerkenwell have been born in Highbury?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
ISLINGTON REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : London (1837-1965), Greater London (from 1965).
Created : 1.7.1837.
Sub-districts : Barnsbury, Highbury, Islington East, Islington North, Islington South, Islington South East, Islington South West, Islington West, Lower Holloway, Tollington, Tufnell, Upper Holloway.

CLERKENWELL REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : London.
Created : 1.7.1837 (originally "St. James Clerkenwell").
Abolished : 2.8.1869 (to become part of Holborn registration district).
Sub-districts : Amwell, Goswell Street, Pentonville, St. James.

I believe the 2    districts  are   next to  each other , 

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »

March  11 1883    Newington  St Mary  Southwark     Kate Louise  Pearce    born  29 Sept   1865   parents   Thomas Nicols  Pearce  and  Sarah Pearce     fathers occupation  Draper ,  11 Knowle  Rd Brixton 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 14 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The family had already moved south of the river to Southwark by 1871 when Kate was 5.

RG10/605/6/6 as Pearse.

Since she had moved away from the place of her birth so young it is not all that surprising if she was later mistaken over which precise bit of Islington she had been born in.  I think it highly likely she is the same person.

I say that as someone who lives in Highbury and travels through Clerkenwell every weekday en route to work :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 14 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Per Who Was Who, Kate was the daughter of the late John Pearce.

http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whowaswho/U210569/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 November 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Per Who Was Who, Kate was the daughter of the late John Pearce.

http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whowaswho/U210569/

Ah! I had an unsourced note saying her father was John, but had discounted it because I could find no evidence where it came from. Is it correct, I wonder? Suppose I'll have to get hold of the marriage record.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 November 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.

I have checked the birth indexes again, and I can't find any other possible candidate, so it looks as if that reference to John may be an error.

I've put a request on the Sussex board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705327
to see if anyone has access to marriage details.