Author Topic: Englishman working in France/Canada - early 1900s  (Read 664 times)

Offline BR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Englishman working in France/Canada - early 1900s
« on: Monday 17 November 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am investigating a theory that my Great-Grandfather worked as a waiter/butler/cook in France between 1898-1911.
His name is William Ryan (1879-1963) and I've already posted quite a long thread about finding his origins in England - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659093.0
I've been able to put quite a few pieces of his puzzling life together however there's a gap between 1894-1910. I can't find a confirmed match of William in the 1901 census (1901 371/64/33 would be the most promising entry but the birth place is wrong).
I've been asking my Dad/Aunties/Uncles if there was ANY other clue that could provide a lead and one of my Aunts remembers him telling her stories of when he was working as a cook/waiter to a French family. If this is true, it could possibly explain why William wasn't around during the 1901 census.
I thought it may be an idea to open the search to French regions of Canada as well because William's future wife travelled there as a young woman but it may be a completely unrelated event as they were married in London in 1917.
Looking at French records, it seems you have to know the department before research on an individual can begin. Would have no idea where to start on Canadian records... If anyone had any recommendations as to how I can follow this theory it would be great.

Thank you very much.
BR

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Englishman working in France/Canada - early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The other issue with France is that for the most part census records have not been indexed (and don't exist for Paris for this time period).

Canada might be more likely (home children etc.) but he may of course been working in London for someone French.

From the end of the other thread, he was at St Patricks Working Boys Home in Soho, which was for Catholic boys.  ( North Hyde Orphanage =  St Mary's Orphanage, also RC?).  So that gives you a hint as to family backgrounds.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Englishman working in France/Canada - early 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose,

Yes, all his documentation lists him as being Roman Catholic and his descendants (my grandfather and father) were quite religious.
I've been in touch with the Westminster Diocesan Archives as I know he would have needed to be baptised and confirmed in his youth but haven't found anything yet. The same applies for Mary Ann, his mother - I am hoping this is where my next lead will come from but while I'm waiting, thought I'd investigate the 'French' lead.
However it sounds like it may be too much effort for only a small amount of information...