Author Topic: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees  (Read 65052 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
continued ... ITM look-up request :

As mentioned previously, ITM's are only indexed to 1881.  Thereafter you need to supply the date or quarter in which the marriage occurred ... PLUS, where the marriage took place.

The NZ Marriage Index (in microfiche format) does not though allow us, (as it does with births and deaths), to determine "where the event was registered".   So in the case of marriages we need to have at least some knowledge of where they likely took place.

Can tell you that the GREENLEES - MURPHY marriage took place on 16 April 1906 (deduced from NZ BDM online Marriage Index).

I'm guessing that the marriage was at Wanganui ?
[Florence MURPHY's father was buried there in 1903 and again, guessing ... her mother remained there for some years before moving to Auckland.
Additionally, one of Florence's sisters (Stella) married at Wanganui in 1899. ]

~  Lu

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 November 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu,

Thankyou very much for all the extra information. I was just about to post a lookup request, but was reading the info about it at the beginning of the New Zealand board and noted the advice on asking for lookups if in a brick wall situation etc (which I am at this point with James Greenlees) and if the info is crucial.

I was wondering, as William was of age at the time of his marriage, and so his parents probably not mentioned in the ITM, do you think it will it still be ok to check? I have never seen an ITM so don't really know what other info it might provide, but am hoping there is an outside chance of a further clue to my search.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards Eliza.

BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
This is the information for ITM's that Spades has posted

Information provided in ITM returns:
•The date on which the notice was registered.
•The full name, marital status, calling or profession and age of  both parties.
•The dwelling place of both parties.
•Length of residence in registration district.
•The place where the marriage was to be solemnized.
•The name and relationship of the person giving consent in the case of a minor (individual under 21 years).
•The date of the marriage certificate.
•The name of the officiating minister or registrar.

Example of an Intention to Marry Notice:

Intention to Marry Index BDM 20/10 1865 East Taieri. p. 457/#76.

Gavin Murdoch, bachelor, a miner aged 27 years living at Chain Hills (length of residence 5 days) intends to marry Catherine Murdoch, a spinster aged 20 years living at Glenhead (length of residence 8 months) at the house of John Murdoch, Glenhead, East Taieri. Date of certificate 4th August 1865. Person giving Consent in the Case of a Minor: John Murdoch, father. Minister: Rev. William Will.

Cheers Janette

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Great thankyou Janette,

That is very informative - and the info collected makes me think that probably I will not be able to gain anything new by seeing it, as only Florence was under age.

Very useful record to know about though, I can think of one or two other instances where that might yet come in handy.

However, I'm picking up quite a few tips along the way on this search, learning something new or something different to think about every day. Many heads are definitely better than one.

Regards Eliza
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 02:05 GMT (UK) »

Please be aware that ITM's are not substitutes for marriage certificates.    You can read more about the information they contain, at the following link (NZ Resources - LINKS : Archives, Libraries, etc.) >
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=494517.0

~  Lu

Eliza ... the information added by janette is exactly the same as the link I'd posted for you in reply # 35.   (Just in case there's confusion  ? )  ;)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I think I need a "Nana nap" Lu - you are quite right  :).

I recognised the Gavin Murdoch bit while I was reading it, but my foggy brain (2 hours sleep last night, please excuse) did not put two and two together till you reminded me.

Your input is both read and appreciated so please overlook my fog! Not confused, just sleepless.

Regards Eliza.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 03:05 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
A further note.

Hoping to find some clue,  I have just obtained a copy of the original image of the marriage of David Greenlees and Emily Trewin (1911) in Victoria.

Unfortunately, although it names David's parents, it doesn't give any information as to whether either was dead or alive at the time. The only extra piece of info it gives on James Greenlees is that he was an  'engine cleaner'.

There was no clue either from the witnesses as none of David's family signed, if any were there. The marriage took place in Elsternwick and it was interesting to see that Emily was four years older than David, at 32. He gave his usual address as Wanganui, New Zealand so it would seem that perhaps the intention was to return there - as they did.

What might have taken David to Victoria, I have no clue, but it is possible that it may be linked somehow to his father.

Regards Eliza.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 November 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/ only has 2 James Greenlees that died about the right time in Victoria might be worth the 99c punt.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)