Author Topic: Elizabeth WILLIAMS Grandaughter of Thomas LAY and Christian JUFFS  (Read 4721 times)

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth WILLIAMS Grandaughter of Thomas LAY and Christian JUFFS
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi:
I am looking for the parents and birth date of Elizabeth WILLIAMS.  She is listed in the will of Thomas LAY of Ensham.  The will was proved 22 July 1820.

Elizabeth is mentioned as a granddaughter of Thomas Lay and appears to be under the age of 21 at the time the will was written in 1819. 

I am assuming from the will that her mother's maiden name is LAY and her father is a WILLIAMS and that Elizabeth is born between 1798 and 1819.  Also, her mother is possibly deceased before 1819 as there is no mention of a daughter named WILLIAMS in the will.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

JJJ2

I have found the Lay family living in Ensham, Combe and Abingdon.
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline simonp17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth WILLIAMS Grandaughter of Thomas LAY and Christian JUFFS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Using the Oxfordshire Family History Society search suite, I think I may be able to help on this one.

An Elizabeth WILLIAMS was baptised in Hanborough on 9 October 1808, the daughter of George and Christian from Ensham [Eynsham].

Christian LEIGH (LAY), daughter of Thomas and Christian was baptised in Eynsham on 5 August 1787, which provides a link to the Thomas LAY who let the will.

The only possible marriage I could find was between George WILLIAMS and Christian Ann LEE in Oxford St Ebbe on 24 August 1807. The couple are described as "lodgers", as are many of the couples there at that time.

I could not find any other children for George and Christian WILLIAMS in Handborough or anywhere else in Oxfordshire, nor could I find any obvious burial records for the couple.

I hope this helps.

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I think you are absolutely right.  I have found a Christian WILLIAMS married Joseph BOWLER on 14 Oct 1811 at South Hinksey, Berks

And I do know that Christian Bowler's maiden name is LAY.

Thank you very much.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline tudors2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 14 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a Christian lay marrying a joseph bowler they are my 4th grandparents. would love to hear from anyone related to this family

take care
Vicki

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
tudors2009:

That would be me.

JJJ2