Author Topic: Penrhyn (or Penryn)  (Read 8937 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penrhyn (or Penryn)
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone give me some help here

I have posted, on the Shropshire forum, concerning a John Penrhyn. I think I will accept that his parents were Will and Sarah, (John Baptised 1737 at  llandrinio).

I cannot trace either the marriage of William and Sarah, or the birth of William. I assume around Montgomeryshire. I believe William died 1752, (a kind poster directed me to Williams will, held on the National Library of Wales),  Sarah died 1782.

Thanks for reading my post.

Cheers

Eric

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhyn (or Penryn)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric

There is a baptism for William Penrhyn, 1746, Llandrinio.  Parents were William and Sarah. Also, the burial of a Sarah there, in 1741. Same parents.

I have a few old Montgomeryshire records that I uploaded to my computer from a CD a good while ago. I'll see if I can find anything more about W & S. Maybe tomorrow now.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Have a peep at the original image on FindMyPast for "William Penrkyn. born 1710, Denbighshire".

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks very like him, HT. William might have had a brother, Griffith, bpt Meifod. 1714 - same parents' names.  :)

My CD records include the Llandysilio Penryns (NW of Llandrinio, and where William was buried)  go back to Jeffrey/Geoffrey Penrhyn (born early 1500s).

It then lists various generations until we get to William Penrhin  (born circa 1700), who married Sarah . 5 children listed.

I'll need to read through this in more detail. Lots of info.  I'll get back if/when I can sort them all out!

They're probably in my Griffiths Pedigrees but the text is too small for me these days without a magnifying glass  ::)  It maybe online now.

It might be worth having a look at the online archives in the National Library site.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Guys for helping me out here. I could never have followed my family back without the good people of this site being so willing to assist, (and hopefully more info will be forthcoming).

What is of great interest to me is the information kindly given on my Penryn post from a member called Alderbury. This took me to a link to Google books concerning some state papers of 1665 which related to John Penryn of Llandrinio, (I have scanned quickly though it and it appears to relate to some revolt). This may well be nothing to do with the family of my 'humble' John Penryn, who was a Saddler, but it would be nice to know for sure. I have noticed what appears to be some posh Penryns in the area, maybe the John Penryn mentioned in the state papers could be that family?

Once again thanks for all your time.

Regards

Eric

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 November 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Montgomeryshire Historical & Archelogical Collections  Vol. VI  1873    Page 266.

John Penrhyn of Llandrinio was the son of Edward Penrhyn ap Jeffrey Penrhyn ( steward of
Bausley, 13 Eliz.) ap Owen ap Griffith ap Llewellyn Penrhyn, By Catherin, daughter of William Owen,
John Penrhyn had a son, Roger Penrhyn of Llandrinio, who married Elizabeth, daughter of
"Edrus ap Thomas de Hendrehen, gen," above.

( Harl. MSS., 9863.5).

Shropshire Archives today.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 November 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
A link to the Penrhyn family on the Shropshire board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702342.0
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.mocavo.co.uk/Collections-Historical-Archaeological-Relating-to-Montgomeryshire-and-Its-Borders-Volume-24/188837/201

William Penrhyn of Rhysnant, one of the bails, was Sheriff in 1604;

Cannot see a find search box. Hope you got some time on your hands Eric.

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 November 14 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alberbury

Which John Penrhyn would this be?  Dates please.  The family that Eric is chasing  are not in the Griffiths Pedigrees.

We have to prove that the John b. 1737 and the William b. 1710 are the same line before we go back that far - No jumping - that way lies tears.

So far there is no proof that John Penryn, the saddler, was the same one as the Montgomeryshire one.

Gadget