Author Topic: Penrhyn (or Penryn)  (Read 8934 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhyn (or Penryn)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 November 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
 Cheers Guys. Wow...I am glad I didn't have to pay you for the time taken to find out all this information I'd be bankrupt by now  :)

OK to add a bit more to this nicely simmering pot

1) yes Gadget you are right in the name of the witness's to the marriage of John and Ann In 1798

2) Children

LONDON (most baptised at St Margarets, Westminster) Christopher Penryn Aston (1799),
William Derbyshire Aston (1800), Elizabeth Mary Aston (1801), Samuel John Aston (1803_
William Henry Aston (1805), Ann Darbyshire Aston (1807), Sussana Rebecca Aston (1811) (baptised in Birmingham in 1821 with 3 of the Birmingham children),Priscilla Sarah Aston (1813)  (Ditto)

BIRMINGHAM (Baptised at St Phillips, Birmingham), Helen Maria Aston (1815),Thomas Edward Aston (1817), Caroline Penryn Aston (1820),Rebecca Penryn Aston (1825).

Interestingly I recently received an email from a gentleman in Australia. He said that Sussana, Priscilla and Rebecca went to Australia in the 1850's and two of them married the same chap, not at the same time I hastily add, both died whilst married to him....I hope they called in the police.......sounds suspicious to me  ;)

He pasted in his email the following newspaper announcements

South Australian Chronicle: ASTON. — On the 25th April, at Crafers, Susannah Rebecca, daughter of the late John Aston, Esq , of Aston, Warwickshire, England, and of Ann Penrhyn, his wife, of Penrhyn, Wales.

Rebecca Penrhyn Aston, married Edward Smith 27 Dec 1855 at the bride's residence, Queenstown, South Australia.

Priscilla Sarah Aston died May 1866 at Crafers, South Australia, beloved wife of Edward Smith.

As you see it states Ann Penrhyn is from Wales, but on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census returns Ann states she is a widow and was born at Whitchurch, Shropshire, (work that one out  guys). I cannot find a 1841 census return for either John or Ann Aston, (which is so frustrating as all  I know is that John Aston died between 1829 and 1851, and a 1841 census would have been most helpful in reducing the window period of his death, sorry I digress).

I think I will be very shortly  paying a visit to the Shropshire Archives  to check workhouse records to see if I can find any more information about John Penrhyn. Also I can check graveyard inscriptions for Oswestry Parish church, (and also at St Tysilio at Llandysilio)

I am at your disposal if there is anything that you personally want me to look up whilst there for other work you may be involved in.

I will report back, (if there is any other information you need I will supply it if I can)

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Eric

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
South Australian Chronicle: ASTON. — On the 25th April, at Crafers, Susannah Rebecca, daughter of the late John Aston, Esq , of Aston, Warwickshire, England, and of Ann Penrhyn, his wife, of Penrhyn, Wales.

Good information, which Penrhyn, Wales is Ann from ?
How many baptisms did you find for Ann Penrhyn ?

Ann Penrhyn
Wales, Montgomeryshire, Parish Registers
Name:   Ann Penrhyn
Event Type:   Burial
Event Date:   05 Sep 1761
Event Place:   Llandrinio, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Digital Folder Number: 004433697

Ann Penryn
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage:   31 December 1815   Market Drayton, Shropshire, England
spouse:   John Wilkes
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 December 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I just thought I would wish you all a happy Christmas and new year and thanks for all help given.

I have finished the Penryn research at Griffith Penryn who i am happy is William Penryn's father. I would not feel confident going further back, unless new information appears sometime in the future.

Once again many thanks

Eric