Author Topic: Penrhyn (or Penryn)  (Read 8939 times)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhyn (or Penryn)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 November 14 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Sorry have taken a massive leap of many generations of the family.
What would help Eric is a Penrhyn IGI list of all the BMD's which are held on the old fiches. Helped me so much. You can form or the family group's.
For example how many Penrhyn's were in Market Drayton, Oswestry etc.

Alberbury
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 November 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I've checked a good many of the Oswestry Penr*yns as I have the fiche from Shropshire FHS. They seem to have been in the Oswestry area a good while. It's now fairly easy to do searches on Family Search rather than use the fiche.

What we need are the Oswestry MIs - there are two burials - John in 1788 (Gov of pre-Morda Workhouse) and Elizabeth, 1790, of Church Street.  If they had a monument and it is recorded, it should tell us their ages.  I'm still not certain that they are all the same family.

The info that I have from Montgomeryshire was collected a good while ago and is very intense and not complete. I'm working through but my nose tells me that the MD/Whitchurch ones are a different line.

I also have various booklets on Shropshire families that I must look at.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 November 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VS8LAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA359&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

1571 - Robert Lloyd
Deputy, William Penrhyn

William Penryn, gent. deput. ( Peniarth list ). He was probably the father of William Penrhyn of Rhysnant, Sheriff in 1604.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 November 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
One century at a time, Alberbury. we are still only sure of the marriage of John Penryn to Elizabeth Derbyshire in 1763, before that is just conjecture, interesting as it maybe.

Hi Eric

I want to go back to John and Elizabeth's daughter Ann (1778).

I note on your online tree that you have her  marrying John Aston at St James, Piccadilly in March 1798. You list the source as a marriage record. However, there is nothing attached to the comment.

Do you have a copy of the record? If so, what does it say - witnesses, etc. **added ~ have found record, witnesses look like John and W Nicholds **

Also, could you list the names of their children in birthdate order, please. I want to follow up a hunch of a Priscilla Penryn born Oswestry and their children. Also, did they have a daughter named Sarah?

Added - forgot to ask what William's will said. I only did a quick search and (if I remember correctly) only found a bond/inventory  in Sarah's name as widow of William but no will.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
In case the 1737 John is your John, and following on from HT's find of a 1710 bpt for a William (poss married to Sarah) , I've checked my Llangollen booklets (CFHS) and find that William was bpt 20 April 1710 in Llangollen parish, born 12th,  in Trefor Issa (shown in this map as Trevor : 
 http://herwales.co.uk/herumd.php?linktable=her_source1_link&group=CPAT&level=3&docid=301357411  )

His parents are listed as Griffith  and Mary Penrhyn of Llandrinio.

My Montgomeryshire info has a possible for this pair:

Griffith Penryn  m.  a Maria and had other children bpt  in Llandrinio

*John bpt Oct 1711
* Magdalena bpt Sept 1722

Also a possible Margaret bpt Llansantffraid Aug 1719 and the Griffith, bpt Meifod in 1714, which I listed in Reply #3 above.

So:  William 1710; John 1711; Griffith 1714; Margaret 1719; Magdalena 1722

Griffith was parish Clerk of Llandrinio and lived until at least August 1759 as he witnessed a will of that date.  Suggests that Griffith was born late 1600s.

Not sure why they would have been in Trefor in 1710, there were some gentry families there but I've forgotten the names (Ormseby-Gores were later)  Alternatively, Mary/Maria might have been from that area or.....

So, more work - you need to find a will/burial  for Griffith and a marriage and bpt.

Not traced him further back so far in my offline records. 

Gadget

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
http://wales.aquabrowser.com/default.ashx?q=john+penrhyn+oswestry

Conveyance upon trust of three messuages by Brook Side in Llanfyllin, co. Montgomery. Endorsement, dated 30 April, 1861, of the ...,

Author(s):   
Material type:   Text
Language:   English
Year:   1861
Level:   File.
Summary:   1. James Owen Pughe of Llandisiliop co. Montgomery, gent, Thomas Pugh of Penylan Mill near Oswestry, co. Salop, miller,Henry Pugh of Llandisilio aforesaid, draper, and Charles Minshall of Oswestry aforesaid, gent. and Rebecca, his wife. 2. Edward Hampson of Llanfyllin co. Montgomery, miner. 3. Thomas Minshall of Oswestry aforesaid, gent,. Conveyance upon trust of three messuages by Brook Side in Llanfyllin, co. Montgomery. Endorsement, dated 30 April, 1861, of the acknowledgment of the deed by the said Rebecca Minshall.
Check the availability of this item >>

John Penrhyn Pugh of Trederwen, parish of Llansaintffraid, co. Montgomery, gent.,

Is this John connected ?

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
http://wales.aquabrowser.com/default.ashx?q=john+penrhyn+oswestry

Miscellaneous Montgomeryshire and Shropshire deeds,

Author(s):   
Material type:   Text
Language:   English
Year:   1541
Level:   File.
Annotation:   
Title based on contents.

Mainly English, some Latin.

Description:   2 bundles (29 items)
Summary:   Title deeds, 1541-1622, 1685-1717, 1747, 1828, of properties in several Montgomeryshire and Shropshire parishes, including a family settlement by John Smythe of Longerlowe, mentioning lands in Tredderwen, Llandrinio, acquired from Hugh Penryn, 1569 grants by the lord of the manor of Deuddwr of commoners' rights to Richard Derwas of Penrhyn Fechan, and others, 1581 family settlements by Edward Penryn of Llandrinio and his son, John, 1601-1609, a family settlement by Richard Derwas of Penrhos, 1611, and an inventory of his goods [c. 1621] deeds relating to properties in Penrhyn Fechan, Burgedin, Trefnant, Cil and Haughton, acquired by William Derwas the elder and younger, 1622, 1685, 1693 a mortgage and other deeds for a capital messuage in Penthryn Fechan, Llandrinio, and lands in Trefnannau, Domgae and Broniarth owned or leased by Richard and Elizabeth Lyster, 1704-1717 and a list of deeds relating to Penthryn Fechan and Trewylan, 1828.

Sorry Eric, still cannot find anything for Oswestry, for that period of time.

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:55 GMT (UK) »
As I said, I have the Oswestry fiche which include the MIs, as far as I remember, I'll look them up, but. as i said to Eric, even a descendant of Owain Glyndwr's sister has to paint the porch  8)

PS - Alberbury - Oswestry is well covered by Family search and FindMyPast    -  you're putting up too much chaff  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »

Griffith was parish Clerk of Llandrinio and lived until at least August 1759 as he witnessed a will of that date.  Suggests that Griffith was born late 1600s.

So, more work - you need to find a will/burial  for Griffith and a marriage and bpt.

Not traced him further back so far in my offline records. 

Burial, Llandysilio
28 Nov 1762  Griffith Penryn, Clark (sic) of Llandysilio.
No age given - worth a trip to the burial ground if this is John's grandfather.

Gadget