Author Topic: Patrick Milligan Fowlie (Ontario)  (Read 9472 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Milligan Fowlie (Ontario)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

No, I doubt that I have found anything online that you have missed... sounds like you have had a great deal of success.

You had wondered if any Price relatives might have photos etc of the Fowlies. So, if you are certain that Ruby's middle name is Bernice (in your initial post) her parents are Thomas Price and Ella L Spears.  Ruby was born in Caistor Township in 1904.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F219-SVD

Her parents are buried in the Caistorville United Church Cemetery

http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/lincoln/caistor/caistorville/

1921 census, the Price family is living in Caistor Township, Lincoln Ontario.  Thomas is a merchant.  The only child they have here is Ruby. 

1911 census, also in Caistorville.  Thomas is a carpenter here.  Looks like there was another daughter... Irene

Thomas and Ella here at the bottom of the page
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/jpg/e002000111.jpg

Irene and Ruby here at the top of the page
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/jpg/e002000112.jpg

1901 census in Caistor... this time it says Wentworth County
Thomas, Ella and Irene
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1901/z/z003/jpg/z000116303.jpg

It looks like the only other "Price relative" to look for is Irene L Price.  Birth record says she is Lucretia Irene Price, born in Caistor, 7 Jan 1900. 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FM4H-7BW

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Irene might have married a James Henry Grant in Toronto in 1920.  I can't see the Ancestry record, so I don't know for sure if this is her... perhaps someone else could check ;D ;D

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27DC-7MF

If so, she is also buried in the Caistorville cemetery... must have remarried to a McCutcheon at some point.  James died in 1930.  See the cemetery list (posted above) under surname Grant.  Irene died in 1983.

If you look under the name McCutcheon, there are 2 people also on the stone with James H and Irene.  I am trying to see if there is a photo of the stone so we can figure out how everyone is related!! 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the cemetery could give you more information about Ruby Price's sister Irene. 
http://www.waynestuff.com/Erie/Caistorville.aspx

If you get an actual date of death, you could check the library to see if there are any obituaries for Irene - hopefully listing her children/where they live etc. 
http://www.westlincolnlibrary.ca/

I know you said at the beginning of this thread that it would be a long shot to find Price relatives with some Fowlie information... you never know!!   I hope you find what you are looking for :) 

RK

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 06:54 GMT (UK) »
RunKitty, you are amazing! Have to go off and run a vintage stall today but will then get straight on it. Very many thanks.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline midgeHT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 January 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for information about Peter Fowlie, Patrick Milligan Fowlie's father. I have just joined RootsChat and found your thread. There is a photo of the E Company Hockey Team at Sandhurst in 1915, which includes James, in an article in The Telegraph of 22 Oct 2013, taken just weeks before his death. The  article is about the photo,purchased at auction, and the subsequent research. Perhaps you've already seen it? He is instantly recognisable as a Fowlie, and I'm trying to establish if we're related. If you can point me to anything about his father, Peter, I'd be very grateful.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 January 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi midgeHT
I actually wrote the article about the Sandhurst hockey team to which you refer, which was why I was trying to locate anyone related to Patrick Fowlie. Always pleased to learn that somebody's read it! My subject of interest was James, Patrick's elder brother and thus Peter Fowlie's eldest son. James was killed in WW1. Dr Peter Fowlie was born in Stornaway, worked for a short while as a doctor in Scotland, then emigrated to Singapore where his children were born. He acquired a position of considerable importance as a Municipal Commissioner: the Commissioners ran Singapore (a British Crown Colony) under the Governor. I am hoping to find out more about him and his life in Singapore, but that's the limit of my knowledge at the moment. I did have a brief go on ScotlandsPeople to try to trace other Fowlie relatives but without success.

Patrick Fowlie also served in WW1 and emigrated to Canada, where he acquired a very senior position in Shell (see earlier in this thread). He and his wife do not appear to have had any children. His widowed mother came to live with him. It seemed possible therefore that any Fowlie family stuff would have been in Patrick's care, but I haven't managed to find anyone with any links to him or his wife as yet.

That's about the limit of my knowledge on the Fowlies as yet, because firstly as I say my focus is on James and secondly I am currently writing draft chapters on two other members of the hockey team (as in the newspaper article), so have not been researching Fowlies for a while! Hope some of this helps.

queencorgi1

Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline midgeHT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 January 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi queencorgi1
Thanks so much for your quick reply. How interesting that you wrote the article. I have to tell you that the Fowlie face is often distinctive, and I picked James instantly out of the photo without reference to the list of names!
 Our interest, apart from a possible family connection which may be a red herring, is through golf. Peter Fowlie was a golfer and wrote 2 books about the golf swing, copies of which my husband  has just acquired.
  We have discovered that (1) Peter Fowlie was a member of The Nairn Golf Club...we're looking into this further.. and (2) that James Lawrence Fowlie appears to have spent some of his early years with his maternal grandparents in Forres, Morayshire, while his parents were in Singapore, where he was born. This is from census records.

There is a gravestone apparently in Clunyhill Cemetery in Forres with his name on it amongst others, although he has a CWGC grave in France. I'm waiting for transcript and photos of this Forres gravestone.

So I'm trying to explore both our possible connection with Peter and also more about him as a doctor and as a golfer. I know he graduated from Aberdeen University. The information already in the thread has been most helpful. I presume some Singapore documents would be helpful, and that Peter and Mary had no more children who might have produced heirs.

It's fascinating.

Many thanks
MidgeHT

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 15 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi MidgeHT again!
I am delighted to hear from you so quickly. Yes, indeed, James did spend time with his grandparents in Forres. Let me fill you in on that before going on to talk about the rest of your interesting post.
He was living with his grandparents James and Mary Lawrence by the time he was 5 and I should think stayed there for the rest of his schooldays, because he attended Clifton Bank School. He was extremely successful here, ending his time as a student as school captain, captain of the hockey team, and 'Dux', a term meaning the student who has the greatest allround academic ability. His talent seems to have made it difficult for him to settle on a university. He first enrolled at St Andrew's to study medicine, then left and went to Pembroke College, Cambridge, to study modern languages, before changing yet again to history. Whether he would have stayed with that choice we don't know because of course he joined up. He became Brigade Intelligence Officer, and I had a very interesting exchange about this on the Great War Forum (different website from this but equally excellent forum, with some overlap of those involved) which you might like to chase up if you're interested.

You are right that Peter and Mary had only the two children, hence my frustration in trying to trace any descendants of Patrick. Are you in Scotland? You seem to know about Fowlies as a race, as it were! I am very interested indeed to hear about the golfing books. Could you possibly scan the covers and title pages for me? I should be happy to send you my email by private message if you would like to communicate in that way.

I should be very happy indeed to work with you trying to sort out the Fowlie connection. As I said, I  hit a blank wall working backwards from Peter and I do find ScotlandsPeople a difficult website to use. Also, there are special Scottish issues in tracing family links of which I have no experience and am struggling to comprehend! I have been able to trace five other families with links to members of the hockey team and we did all manage to meet briefly in June 2014. It was a really emotional moment and my hope is that eventually I can trace relations of all ten men and bring their families together. It is important to note that five of the ten died and five lived. I am tracing the lives of all ten in full, not just during WW1.

Others apart from MidgeHT, who has seen it already reading this may like to see the hockey team photograph which sparked off my research -- you never know, you may be able to help! It was taken in early spring of 1915 at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, UK. Those whose families have been traced by me are Stanlie Layard, Douglas Wimberley, Carl Davies, Norman Kelley and Tom Wilmot. The ones (apart from Fowlie) whose families I have not yet been able to find are Ivor Cochrane (the team captain), seated centre of the front row; Isaac Usher (standing in uniform at left) and Trevor Southgate (seated at right staring into space).

Offline midgeHT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 January 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again queencorgi1

Yes I'm in Scotland and my husband's a Fowlie. I'd be happy to continue by email. I will try to photo the books and can email them straight to you.
There are many Fowlies in the NE Scotland..big farming families. I can go back a few generations of my husband's family,( his father was the youngest of 10) and was thinking of trying to find a connection with Peter. Will see what I can do. Please do send me a PM with your email address and I'll respond with photos if I can.

MidgeHT