Author Topic: 1901 Census..Micheal Durkin and Family..where are they?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census..Micheal Durkin and Family..where are they?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:47 GMT (UK) »
 There  is this  Michael  Durkin  ?       

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9VL-MS3

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Again though, the birth place is Ireland and Stapler's Michael gives his birthplace in 1891 and 1911 as Liverpool. I think the whole family are together somewhere and it is a transcription problem or they were missed off the census. I could understand it if it was just Michael missing, but in that case we ought to be able to find the rest as it was a large family.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 November 14 07:47 GMT (UK) »
with the Irish accent - try Deakin ??...that's how it would sound when said to a Liverpool man taking the census - I have a Durkin family in my road here in Garston,Liverpool ...Garston is also known as Little Wicklow because of the amount of Wicklow men who came here during the Potato Famine ..I wonder if your Michael Durkin was a Wicklow man ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 November 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Am I missing something, where is Ireland coming into this? In both 1891 and 1911 he says he was born in Liverpool. Has anyone found one where he says he was born in Ireland, I can't see that from the OP. Also, the enumerator did not fill in the census, they only checked them and copied details into the book, so unless all the Durkins were illiterate, the enumerator would just have copied what was on the census firm.

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/census.html.   Section about how the census was carried out.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 November 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Am I missing something, where is Ireland coming into this? In both 1891 and 1911 he says he was born in Liverpool. Has anyone found one where he says he was born in Ireland, I can't see that from the OP. Also, the enumerator did not fill in the census, they only checked them and copied details into the book, so unless all the Durkins were illiterate, the enumerator would just have copied what was on the census firm.

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/census.html.   Section about how the census was carried out.

ok...in your earlier post you state b c 1869 from census ...could this be him in 1871 with his family ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBXP-C8N
his mothers name is Julia on this census - I wonder if he named a daughter Julia after his mother ??
if it looks a possible -
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/marriages.php
1860 ref 650  St Nicholas  ..  Michael Durkin to Julia Moher
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Ireland was the birthplace of both Micheal and Julia, the parents of the Micheal Durkin I am seeking. This Micheal was born 7 April, 1869 and baptised in St. Josephs. On the 1890 census he was living with his family at 130 Salisbury st, Liverpool. He married Mary Ann Stannard at St. Francis Xavier Church, 1890.
Om census 1911 he was living at 17 Back Canterbury Street, Liverpool
He died 1935 in Holywell, Flintshire, Wales.

I hope this helps. This has been a real mystery to me. Can it simply be that the 1901 census missed the entire family. And I do want to thank you all for all your help.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
It is odd ???
Could be that they are there and have just been missed off in the transcriptions but other than trawling through the whole of the registers for Liverpool....... a long and tedious exercise........ I don't see how you would find them. A far easier option would be to do as was suggested in an earlier post and apply for the birth certificate for Agnes b1902. The address would perhaps give more clues as to where they were.
Another thing that strikes me as odd is that all the children were baptised within a few weeks of birth but there doesn't seem to be a baptism for Agnes.
Although there is one for Alice,
 Birth 11 Dec 1904 baptised 24 dec 1904 at the same church as all the others.