Author Topic: 94th Regiment of Foot  (Read 1963 times)

Offline murfnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
94th Regiment of Foot
« on: Monday 24 November 14 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was in the 94th Regiment of Foot from 1824-1846. I have his discharge papers plus some additional information obtained by a researcher. I would like to get a picture of the uniform of that period for a Private or Corporal. Is anyone able to help with that. Thank you.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 94th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 14 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat
Just google 94th foot and select images

James

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 November 14 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

James

Ah, if only it were that simple.  Military pictures (particularly for "other ranks") are plentiful for the Peninsular War and the Crimean War, but not for the 1820s and 1830s.

If you try http://winterof79.blogspot.co.uk/p/winter-of-1839.html and scroll down the page you will find images that show the style of uniform in 1839.  The colour of collar, cuffs and facings, as well as the regimental badge, will be different for the 94th, but that is the closest I have found so far.

Alternatively, you could try the Connaught Rangers (the 94th foot merged with the 88th foot in 1888 to form the Connaught Rangers as part of the Childers reforms).

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline murfnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

James

Ah, if only it were that simple.  Military pictures (particularly for "other ranks") are plentiful for the Peninsular War and the Crimean War, but not for the 1820s and 1830s.

If you try http://winterof79.blogspot.co.uk/p/winter-of-1839.html and scroll down the page you will find images that show the style of uniform in 1839.  The colour of collar, cuffs and facings, as well as the regimental badge, will be different for the 94th, but that is the closest I have found so far.

Alternatively, you could try the Connaught Rangers (the 94th foot merged with the 88th foot in 1888 to form the Connaught Rangers as part of the Childers reforms).

All the best
Philip

Thank you both. I had googled the regiment but the uniforms appear to be before the reforming of the regiment in 1823 so I believe it had changed a bit. I have found one for an officer of the regiment but not one for an enlisted man for the period I wanted. I appreciate your assistance.
Thanks Theresa

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

This for the early part of your date range but the uniforms changed in 1829.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline murfnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

This for the early part of your date range but the uniforms changed in 1829.

John915

Many thanks John. Much appreciated.
Welcome to Rootschat

James

All the best
Philip