Author Topic: Ontario Death Look-up  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ontario Death Look-up
« on: Tuesday 25 November 14 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, trust everyone is well.
I have a request.
Listed in the Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1938-1947
Death, Burial, Cemetery & Obituaries
which is a part of Ancestry, there is a listing for EMERA SIMPSON, died 1913, Parry Sound, Ontario.
I believe the name is miss-transcribed in that it should be EMMA, could someone please look this up and post the particulars, thank you.
There is also this death, THOMAS SIMPSON, died 1916 at Parry Sound, Ontario.
There is also this death,  CLARA IRELAND, died 1923 at Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada.
I would like the particulars on these three  deaths, please and thank you.
Gotcha

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario Death Look-up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 07:22 GMT (UK) »
It was mistranscribed but from looking at the entry it is easy to see why. Emma Simpson, 77 years, 11 months and 17 days died 29 Dec 1913 in Sundridge, Ontario. She was widowed. The space for her father's name and mother's maiden surname just have lines through the space where the names would go. She died from old age. The informant was listed as James Ireland of Sundridge.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Simpson, 58, died 31 May 1916 in Burks Falls, Ontario. He was born in Garafraxa, Ontario. He was married at the time of his death and his occupation was contractor. His parents are listed as Levitt Simpson and Amy(?) Moody. He died from an ulcer to the stomach. The informant was Joseph H?? (I can't read the writing for his surname).

Clara Ireland, 68 years, 7 months old, died 21 Feb 1923 in Strong Twp. She was single. Her birth date was listed as 22 Jul 1854 in London, England. It says she was a housekeeper from birth to death. She had been in Ontario and Canada for "about 40 years". In the space for her father's name it says "------- Ireland", born England and for her mother there is just a line through the space but says she was born in England. She was buried in Sundridge Strong Cemetery on 23 Feb 1923. The informant was James Ireland of Sundridge and it says he was her brother.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie for your help. Its strange...Emma's says she was widowed at time of death...she was married to Thomas Simpson, (don't have a date for said marriage....yet). The James Leland is actually James Ireland, Emma's son from previous marriage to William James Ireland who died in 1899. In the 1901 Canada census, Emma's name is Ireland, and a widow, living with Clara and Clara is a niece. In 1911, Emma is listed as Emma Simpson, so somewhere between 1901 and 1911, she married Thomas Simpson. I've been looking for a grave marker on the Northern Ontario Canada Grave Marker Gallery site but can't seem to find them. Maybe they don't have stones. Will keep looking. Thanks again.
Gotcha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I took another look at the two death registrations and it does look like Ireland, Leland.

James says Emma was a widow and the informant for Thomas said he was married. Did he re-marry after Emma's death or is it possible they were not together when Emma died? Or perhaps they were not officially married?

Jacquie

Jacquie

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 14 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie...I suppose anything is possible.
But in all honesty, I'm beginning to have second thoughts on having the right Thomas Simpson.
This Thomas was a good 18 years younger than Emma. I know its not unheard of.
Like you suggested, maybe they weren't officially married, I can't find a marriage for them on the Ontario Vitals site. I started at 1877 and went all the way up to 1916 and there wasn't anything.
There are trees on Ancestry that show Emma and Thomas, but I can't access them in order to contact the owner. Oh well, them's the breaks.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 14 07:07 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census you referred to, did you see who else was in the household. After Clara was Levitt Simpson, lodger, widower, born 13 Mar 1824 in England. He emigrated in 1850 and there is no occupation listed.

Levitt Simpson died 10 Feb 1910 in Sundridge. He was 85 years, 11 months old and was listed as a retired gentleman. There is no other information listed as to his marital status, parents' names, etc. It appears a doctor may have been the informant. Perhaps Emma and Levitt were living as a married couple and she took his name.

There is a William Ireland, 28, porter listed travelling with Emma Ireland (it was transcribed as Erma but it looks like Emma to me), 34 and William Ireland, infant on the Medway which departed from London and arrived 2 May 1870 in Quebec. Here's a link to the passenger list (6th family from the top): http://data2.archives.ca/e/e142/e003533008.jpg
and here's a link to the 1871 census for Ingersoll, South Oxford entries for them (bottom image, starts line 4): http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/pdf/4396330_00410.pdf

There is a marriage record for William James Ireland, 26, born London, England to William and Emma Ireland who married Elsie Ann Weeks, 25, widow, daughter of John Parker (no mother listed) on 26 Sep 1894 in Muskoka District and Parry Sound District. It indicates they planned to live in the Township of Ryerson. Clara Ableson and James Ireland were the witnesses.

Jacquie

Edit: You probably have some of this already.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 07:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a William Ireland, 57 years, 3 months, 3 days old who died 15 Apr 1899 in Ryerson, Parry Sound. He was listed as being a farmer and married. Unfortunately the death registrations at that time had very little information (no spouse's name, parents' names, etc). A doctor was the informant.

Here's a link to the 1881 census which has the family plus another son named James (6) in the Twp of Ryerson and Armour in Muskoka District: http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008180160.pdf

There is a marriage registration for James Ireland, 24, born Ryerson, son of Emma May and Wm Ireland who married Sarah C. Goodell, 19, born Ryerson, daughter of Elizabeth Burnett and James Goodell on 12 May 1898 at Burks Falls. I haven't been able to find a birth for him.

I did find a birth for John Ireland who was born 12 Aug 1871 to William Ireland and Emma May in Ingersoll, Oxford County. He died 1 Oct 1872 in Ingersoll at the age of 13 months, 2 weeks.

Jacquie

Edit: I think you probably have this already too.

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 November 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,
Yes, I do have all of this...with the exception of the birth of JOHN IRELAND in Ingersoll. Thank you for that.
Gotcha