Author Topic: Adam Forbes and Christian Cruickshank  (Read 8539 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Forbes and Christian Cruickshank
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 May 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Indeed it would.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 May 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
Lee, I think you have the most relevant info now on Margaret. Looking back over the last thread linked here and your addition of the OPR christening entry for Margaret now.

It is a pity that the christening entry is missing one key word, 'natural' daughter. I do however think you have enough material now to be satisfied that your Margaret was the illegitimate daughter of Adam Forbes Jnr and Christina Cruickshanks. As Forfarian mentions here, this Adam Forbes remained unmarried up to his death. You have his parents's details and OPR birth entry. Also, www.findagrave.com/memorial/148737604/adam-forbes

You also have Christina's first marriage to Donald Stuart from the OPRs and entries from censuses up to Donald's death. You then have a number of further census entries with widowed Christina and daughter Margaret. As you know, there are a number of illegitimate children for Margaret, but they have been straightforward to find birth details on.

Margaret showed as a spinster when she married John McDonald in 1887. He either left her or died. What's the marital status for Margaret in the later censuses?

Who reported Christina's death in 1904?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 May 19 15:40 BST (UK) »

You also have Christina's first marriage to Donald Stuart from the OPRs and entries from censuses up to Donald's death. You then have a number of further census entries with widowed Christina and daughter Margaret. As you know, there are a number of illegitimate children for Margaret, but they have been straightforward to find birth details on.

Margaret showed as a spinster when she married John McDonald in 1887. He either left her or died. What's the marital status for Margaret in the later censuses?

Who reported Christina's death in 1904?

Monica

Yes I have some of the info - it's more that I'm trying to piece it together, and hope that a similar descendant who has some information may be able to shed some light if they happen to see this post - but that might be expecting too much!

Do you know of a way of reviewing the OPRs other than in Scotland's People? As you've suggested that the info is easy enough to find, the only way I can think of would be to either pay for various attempts on the SP website or spend a day at Register House in Edinburgh.

Incidentally, Christina's death was registered by 'A. Stuart - Son', and I think that he must be Alexander Stuart.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People is the only source of original and complete material. Even if you are lucky to find entries in the Family Search indexes, unfortunately, they are only brief indexes and you miss out on the full entries.

If you can get a day at one of the main genealogy centres, that would be a great way of reviewing all the possible entries.

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 May 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
Do you know of a way of reviewing the OPRs other than in Scotland's People? As you've suggested that the info is easy enough to find, the only way I can think of would be to either pay for various attempts on the SP website or spend a day at Register House in Edinburgh.
There are various libraries which have microfilm copies of the Old Parish Registers, including Elgin Library, Aberdeen Public Library and the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society. There may also be copies at the North-East Scotland Library Service HQ at Oldmeldrum, and the Scottish Genealogy Society in Edinburgh.

Or, if you are not able to get to any of those, you can arrange to rent the films at a Latter Day Saints Family History Centre for a small fee.

However if you can get to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh, or one of the local archives with a link to it, you can see not only the OPRs but also the statutory records of births, deaths and marriages which you cannot see anywhere else.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 May 19 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. I have a day off tomorrow for the bank holiday so might go to Register House and see what I can find.

I appreciate you all taking the time to give me advice.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 May 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
Better check that they are not closed for the bank holiday too.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
Better check that they are not closed for the bank holiday too.

Indeed! I looked on the website and there's nothing to say that it's closed, and they're taking seat reservations for tomorrow as well.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 May 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
That is great. Have a good day there if you decide to go.

Monica