Author Topic: Looking for the birth of Charlotte Constance Ball abt 1861  (Read 11855 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the birth of Charlotte Constance Ball abt 1861
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 20 December 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
She may have died as Constance James aged 46 in Eton district, Sep qtr 1907.

To keep all in the loop - I purchased the death certificate for this Constance James and it definitely wasn't Charlotte Constance James nee Ball

Have purchased the birth certificate for Constance Ball Todds so will be interesting...

Westy11

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 20 December 14 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Stamford Mercury 28 September 1860, page 4 final column:

"Willit Ball of Lincoln and late of the county constabulary was yesterday elected under-turnkey at the City gaol. There were eight candidates. "
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 20 December 14 15:56 GMT (UK) »
As ShaunJ has posted earlier in the thread, there is at least one newspaper report linking a policeman named Willit Ball to Tealby in 1859 - available via the British Newspaper Archive and Findmypast.

Yes I saw that thread and I am almost certain it is not the same person mentioned earlier as the Willit Ball in the 1861 Census for Lincoln as that Willit was not a policeman but an "Under Warder" at the City Prison who as I said is my 2 x Great Uncle

Alan

Are you still "almost certain" Alan? ;)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
As ShaunJ has posted earlier in the thread, there is at least one newspaper report linking a policeman named Willit Ball to Tealby in 1859 - available via the British Newspaper Archive and Findmypast.

Yes I saw that thread and I am almost certain it is not the same person mentioned earlier as the Willit Ball in the 1861 Census for Lincoln as that Willit was not a policeman but an "Under Warder" at the City Prison who as I said is my 2 x Great Uncle

Alan

Are you still "almost certain" Alan? ;)

As of this moment Geoff I'm treating the evidence as "Questionable" But as far as Constance is concerned, until such time as proof that her father is MY Willit Ball from Lincoln then I am cannot accept the evidence so far provided in this thread.

Alan

ps have a good Christmas Geoff  :D
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I too do not want to accept any connection to the incorrect Willit Ball.  I am sure you will agree with me that without evidence to prove it, either way, it only becomes assumptions or likelihood.

It may well be there is a connection between the Willit/Willett Balls and that connection may be further back in their lines. 

I know I have many instances were, generation after generation the same names are used, and in fact, I currently have 4 generations where the same name was used in the various lines all being cousins of one variety or another.  Many of my lines are Quakers who were very concerned about paying respect to their ancestors by naming their children after them.  My father bears one of the  names that has come down the line since 1650.

It certainly makes for a challenging time to differentiate but differentiate one must.

Merry Christmas to all and thank you so much for you assistance and discussion and insight into what is proving to  be a challenge.  :)

Westy11