Author Topic: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?  (Read 125101 times)

Offline cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?
« Reply #171 on: Sunday 21 October 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
A new name for your index - Lowman
John Lowman born 1879 Lambeth - Engineer(mech) in cork factory (owned by his father apparently)
John Lowman born 1851 Whitechapel - corkcutter/owner
John Lowman born 1826 place unknown - corkcutter
These were my grandfather, g-gfather, & g-g-gfather
Also brothers, uncles etc=
Henry Lowman born 1860 Mile End
William Lowman born 1854 Bethnal Green
and his sons William born 1875 Mile End & Frederick born 1877 Mile End all cork cutters.

Offline Rob T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheryl,
Are you still looking for cork cutters?

My 2xgt gf George McAdam and his brother Thomas were cork cutters (journeymen). The first record I have of them is 1841 Carlisle where they were shown as aged 15 (rounded down) and both already cork cutters.

In 1861 they were both in Whitehaven. Looking at his children's ages, he left Carlisle for London after 1850 when my gt gm Ann was born. After two children born in London 1853 and 1855, he returned to Whitehaven in time for the next one to be born in 1857. Thomas lived a few doors away in 1861 and was still there in 1871. George however had died by then.

I've seen Thomas listed on your website. He also died before 1881. I've seen him in a trade directory of 1873 where he was a cork manufacturer and publican of the Ship Inn, Douglas Passage, Market Place, Whitehaven. In 1879, he was publican at Foresters Arms, West Strand.

I was at one time thinking the cork might be for steam engine gaskets, but the pub is a bit of a giveaway.
Rob T
KEIR, KERR, McRobert, Macadam, Wallace in Cumberland.
TOMLINSON, BEARDSHALL in Yorkshire & Derbyshire.

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 26 October 07 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks to "cats" and Rob T.  Will put necessary details on the Corkcutters of England website.

Cheryl
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Saturday 12 April 08 05:48 BST (UK) »
The Cork Cutters of England

Broken link deleted

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Monday 28 April 08 14:04 BST (UK) »
I've found corkcutters in my family now, Thomas Clay `1836-1901  lived Bermonsey Surrey. He employed 3 men and his daughter Martha Jane Clay is also listed as a cutter. I would like to know where abouts he worked and what happened to the business when he died... Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Monday 28 April 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
I doubt whether much equipment was necessary to do cork-cutting and it was probably a cottage industry for many.
Below is an extract from http://www.bermondseyspa.org.uk

"Industry in Bermondsey Spa
Over the last 250 years, Bermondsey Spa has seen some radical changes. At the start of the 19th century, the area was mostly agricultural land.  Following this, food processing and leather industries were important in the area. The biggest industry was leather, dominated by two large tanneries - Grange Tannery and Neckinger Mills.

The Bermondsey riverfront was known as London's Larder due to the volume of foods unloaded and stored. Numerous household names were processed in the area but none remain.

Courages (beer) - Horsleydown Lane
Crosse & Blackwell (pickles) - Crimscott Street
Hartleys (jams) - Tower Bridge Road
Jacobs (biscuits) - Wolseley Street
Pearce & Duffs (custard) - Spa Road
Peek Freans (biscuits) - Drummond Road
Sarsons (vinegar) - Tower Bridge Road
Spillers (dog biscuits) - Jacob Street

As the river became an increasingly important trading centre, business boomed.  Slowly, the area became more urban, with the construction of workers accommodation, until by the mid-19th century, Bermondsey Spa had some of the most densely packed, unhealthy living and working conditions in London. 

Civic pride
It was also developing a sense of identity and civic pride.  In 1881 Bermondsey Town Hall was built, along with schools, a library and public baths.  Volunteer organisations and philanthropic individuals attempted to alleviate the growing poverty, most notably Alfred Salter who provided food, clothing, education and medical services, as well as planting trees and encouraging new businesses.

In the early part of the 20th century, Bermondsey Council embarked on a major programme to improve the area, building new housing, planting more than 6,000 trees and creating Bermondsey Spa gardens........."

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 02 May 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
I have Thomas listed on my corkcutter index as working from Waterloo Road, this information coming from a trade directory.  Can you let me have some more details about him for my index which you can find on
website removed

Looking forward to hearing from you

Cheryl
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 02 May 08 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl
  http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=3846580&pid=-
if that link doesn't work my tree is public on ancestry. My first recollection is from years ago when my grandmother told me her grandfather owned a cork factory and her mother worked there. She was Agnes Jane Smith b.1882 Lambeth. Her mother was Martha Jane Clay 1858-1892 dau of Thomas Clay 1836-1901. Found on all censuses 1841 on  except 1891, the year he married hi 2nd wife Emma Goodwin. He married his  1st wife Jane Corri in 1858 and Martha Jane was the only child. His father was Thomas Clay 1805- abt 1857 twine spinner. His only male descendants were  Henry and Thomas Smith, who I have not been able to find after 1891 census. these two might have joined the armed forces as i seem to recall my gran had a brother killed in WW1 His 1st wife Jane Corri according to census was born in Wales and is also elusive....
Jane Clay         37  Wife
Thomas Clay      37  Cork Cutter
Joseph Fossey     22   Lodger  Apprentice
William Stoff         51         "       Cork Cutter
George Warren    29          "                "
 From 1871 census

Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline jules2465

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 04 July 08 20:03 BST (UK) »
My paternal gt gt grandfather. His name Richard White. He is shown on the 1891 census living at 12 Meard Street Strand Westminster, his age 34 yrs. Occupation: Cork Cutter. He had a son Richard age 14 yrs, who also had his occupation shown as Corkcutter, but apparently it was crossed out.  :) Lyn

Just an interesting note... my ancestor James Sime lived at 13 Meard Street on the 1891 Census... guess they were neighbours :) (he was a carpenter)
James Edward Sime (Atb. 1844 - Windsor, Berkshire)