Author Topic: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?  (Read 125105 times)

Offline HeatherJWilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 12:25 BST (UK) »
Jopseph Shuttleworth  (1873) and his father Joseph Watts Shuttleworth (1842) and his mother Elizabeth Shuttleworth (1842) were all cork cutters.  They both were born in Devonport Devon were listed there (1861 census) as cork cutters

and then they all moved to London, Bow to carry on as cork cutters.

Can anyone tell me why they might have moved?

Thanks

Offline lackaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Monday 21 September 09 01:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Cheryl,

My Great Grandfather, born in Boston, Massachusetts, was listed in every census, directory and on his death certificate as a cork cutter.  He was born in 1868 died in Brooklyn N.Y in 1906.

He left Boston some time between 1900-1902 for Brooklyn.  Do you know anything about cork cutters in the U.S.  Was there perhaps a better position for cork cutters in Brooklyn? Do you know of any shops in Boston and Brooklyn?

Thanks,
Erin

Offline lackaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Monday 21 September 09 01:54 BST (UK) »
Just left the cork cutter message about my great grandfather in Boston to Brooklyn.  Forgot to give you his info.

Mitchell Timothy Gallagher born November 24, 1868, East Boston, MA USA-died November 25, 1906, Brooklyn, NY, USA.

I am unsure how he picked up this trade. His father, William Gallagher, who came from Londonderry, Ireland was not listed as a cork cutter on the census but as a teamster. 

Thanks again,
Erin

Offline marmalade45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Thursday 05 November 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have come across your site whilst trying to find out more details re cork cutting. I am researching my family tree and have found out via my grandmother's wedding certificate that her father(my gt grandfather) was a foreman cork cutter. His name was Walter Benjamin Briten born approx 1848 in Pulham  Norfolk. On 1861 census he is registered as apprentice cork cutter (14 years old) address 40 Bartholomew Thorn Lane. He then disappeared ( I think he went to Belfast...waiting for confirmation from GRO Belfast) returned to wed in Sunderland 1882 where he describes his trade as a mariner and then turns up on 1891 census 233 Kirk St Byker Newcastle and trade is once again cork cutter. 1901 census has him at 231 Kirk st and trade foreman cork cutter then he leaves the trade (possibly because its dying out) and in 1911 on my grandmothers second marriage certificate and on census form from Uxbridge  he has entered the hotel trade together with one of his sons.

maramalade45

Offline danny.a

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Monday 07 December 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
cheryl.
i,ve read that you are setting a record of as many people as you can that  worked as cork cutters. Well my great, great fathergrand was a corkcutter in the Stepney area of london . His name was William watts born Whitechaple 1821. probabley from about 1842 till about1864 . ;D 

Offline Margot3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Cheryl,

Two more: 

Philip McGUIRE,  cork cutter master
Source: listed as cork cutter on his son Terence's birth certificate March 16, 1856, 10 Bow St, Salford.

Terence McGUIRE, cork cutter
Source: listed in 1905 on his daughter's marriage certificate as "cork cutter (deceased)"
(In 1879, 1881 and 1891, he lived in Wigan but I only have his occupation for 1881 - coal miner).

The 1869 Wigan Directory lists McGUIRE and BURNS as cork cutter/ manufacturers at 6 Warrington Lane, Wigan.  Do you know their forenames?  I would love to know if McGUIRE was in fact Terence McGUIRE. 

Thanks.

Margot

Offline imeldageordie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wee Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Saturday 29 May 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

2 more which aren't currently on your index.

Samuel Reilly (born 1812 in Edinburgh, dies 1854 in Camden London) and his son Samuel henry Reilly (born 1843 in St Georges Middlesex and died 1885 Hamilton, Scotland) were both journeymen cork cutters.

julie
Jarrow/Hebburn- Pinder, Pinnock, Owens, Bramwell, Wright, Moffat, Lane, Livingston
Norfolk- Pinnock
Hull-Pinder
Scotland/Ireland - Latimer, Collins, Owens, McGuire, Fraser

Offline james evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Saturday 25 September 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl
My ggg grandfather Robert Evans was a corkcutter as recorded at his marriage to Ann Penlington 15th Aug 1790, St. Mary-on-the-Hill, Chester. His occupation was also given at four subsequent baptisms in St. John's Chester, the last one in 1813. I can't find his burial at Chester, so he may have moved away, possibly following his two sons, both pipemakers, to Manchester, then Liverpool.
From St. John's Chester I found the following corkcutters:-
James Evans, wife Ann, baptisms in 1810,1813 & 1823, living at Little St. John and Foregate streets.
Paul Evans, wife Mary, baptism in 1813, living at Foregate st.
and from the 1841 Liverpool Census, James Evans corkcutter aged 55, Byrom st, born Lancs.
Jim

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheryl

I see that your index includes Thomas Evans of Oswestry, Master Cork Cutter.

You have earliest reference 1871 but he is was on 1861 census too. His son George was also a Cork cutter.

Beatrice Street, Oswestry.
Thomas Evans, Head, M, 38, Cork Cutter, b Oswestry.
Elizabeth, Wife, M, 23, b Newtown, Mont.
George, Son, S, 21, Cork Cutter, b Oswestry.
Thomas Charles, Son, 1, b Oswestry.
1861 - RG9/1878/113/7

40 year old George Evans, Cork cutter, in 1881 at Orchard St, Oswestry
1881 - RG11 2659/42/26

Many thanks
Morgan