Author Topic: Samuel Illidge (1792-1865), Aston-by-Sutton  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Illidge (1792-1865), Aston-by-Sutton
« on: Thursday 27 November 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hoping someone may be able to help solve a puzzle. Have used Ancestry, FindMyPast, FreeREG and FamilySearch.... all this is in Aston-by-Sutton.

I'm looking at Samuel Illidge, born 26 April 1792, baptised 20 May 1792, to George Illidge and Sarah (not found their marriage yet so don't know Sarah's maiden name, though not relevant  to my puzzle).

Samuel married Elizabeth (Betty) Clark on 12 November 1811 and I've found 5 children - Sarah (1811), John (1813), Ellen (1816), Samuel (1818) and George (1820). Betty was buried on 20 May 1822.

Samuel then married Mary Hancock on 24 November 1822 and I've found 3 children - Mary (1823), James (1827) and Elizabeth (1830). Elizabeth was baptised on 20 April 1830 and was buried on 9 May 1830. Then Mary died on 18 May 1830 (buried 20 May). So far, all seems fine.

But, I've now found further baptisms for children of Samuel and Mary - Anne / Anna (1831), Elizabeth (1833) and Thomas (1836). Elizabeth was buried aged 9 on 16 June 1842, listed as the daughter of Samuel and Mary - would it be likely to say that if Mary had died?

So my puzzle is, did Mary (Hancock) die in 1830 soon after the birth of the baby Elizabeth? And did Samuel then marry another Mary, though I can't find another marriage, and have the final three children? Or is that not Mary's death and so all the children are hers. 

Samuel died on 9 Jan 1865. Strangely, I haven't yet been able to find him in 1841, 1851 or 1861.

Thanks for reading.   

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Illidge (1792-1865), Aston-by-Sutton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Found this on 1851 census
 Samuel Illage born 1793 in Sutton with him is wife Mary 47 and son James 24

HO107; Piece: 2164; Folio: 257; Page: 6

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Samuel with wife Mary and children
HO107; Piece: 95

I'm assuming from your post that you have access to census records?
If not let us know :)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »

In 1861 surname transcribed as Hildage and as a bit of a bonus some grandchildren with them ;D
RG 9; Piece: 2597; Folio: 4; Page

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora, I was wondering why I couldn't find him in the censuses (I did try a variety of spelings!).

So either Mary didn't die, or he married another Mary.

Should have included in the original post that the Mary who died in 1830 is shown as the wife of Samuel. Given that she died soon after a baby, I guess it's likely that Samuel married another Mary. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a birth/baptism for Mary Hancock ?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a birth/baptism for Mary Hancock ?

No, nor place of birth :( but the age at burial suggests she was around the same age as Samuel, whereas the Mary in the censuses is younger.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, she was a good few years younger and would have been about 16 years of age when they married.Not impossible but is it likely considering that Samuel's eldest daughter would have been 11/12 in 1822 ???
I think your right and there was another marriage.???

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora, just found another Mary Illidge burial - 9 August 1883 aged 80. Lists spouse as Samuel Illidge (though if it's the same one, he'd died in 1865!).

This looks to be the second Mary with the censuses given her birth around 1804 so I'll go with that. No my direct line, though Samuel and his first wife were my husband's 5* great grandparents. Just tying up loose ends.

Thanks for your help, Deirdre