Author Topic: Derby County Lunatic Asylum  (Read 6213 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derby County Lunatic Asylum
« on: Thursday 27 November 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
In March 1856 a Frances Cowlishaw was admitted to the Derby lunatic asylum and discharged in February 1863. The UK lunacy patients admissions register (now available on &ncestry) indicates that Frances was a pauper but gives no other information. It is possible that this Frances was a direct ancestor of mine but I can't be sure without more information.
Does anyone know if there are any other records relating to the Derby asylum that are available to researchers?
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Derby County Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1861 census for the hospital, there were only two patients there with the initials F.C.  One is male and one female.

The male is listed as 49 (so b. abt 1812) and the female as 42 (so b. abt 1819).  No place of birth is recorded for either.

Does this info for the female tally with those for "your" Frances?

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much STG, the age of the female FC does fit with my ancestor. She was born Frances Ashmore in Calow near Chesterfield in May 1818. When she married my 3xGt Grandfather John Cowlishaw in May 1847 she was already a widow. For a long time I'd been puzzled by her apparent absence from the 1861 Census. John Cowlishaw died in June 1857 and the death certificate indicates that the informant was his neighbour rather than his wife which seemed strange. Their only daughter, Mary Elizabeth, born in 1848 is in the Chesterfield workhouse in the 1861 Census and yet by 1871 she is living with her mother again who has remarried (John Cutts in June 1864) and once again living in the Chesterfield area. Frances' internment in the Derby asylum between 1856 and 1863 explains a lot.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 November 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The patient records are at Derby Records Office  ref D1658 1851-1993
There's a hundred year closure but with the dates you want that should be fine.
You can  contact them  on 01629 538347 or email record.office@derbyshire.gov.uk.
It's probably best to book in case the records are off-site or they are packed out on the day.
They are in Matlock but although there is a map there's no street name on their site.
Ciderdrinker

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker. It is a long way to Matlock from where I live but I will make the trip one day.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Jill London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Have a look on their web site http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/ If you give them a ring they are very helpful. They have copied and posted infomation to me in the past.

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Send a letter to Derbyshire Archives and Local Studies Library at Matlock.  Tell them what you know and all the staff there are brilliant.  If they have any information, they will tell you and you can request copies.  There are fees to pay but, considering the cost of travelling, I have always found the letter method (for me) the best option as I can't get to Matlock.
Good luck
Aquilegia18
Rowley - Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire
Dawson - Nottinghamshire
Holmes- Norfolk, Derbyshire