Author Topic: Wribbenhall seeking information  (Read 4965 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wribbenhall seeking information
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Searching my family tree takes me to the Millward family.  In the 1841 census Abraham is a gardener and works at Wribbenhall, Kidderminster Foreign, Kidderminster, Worcestershire.  I have no knowledge of the area and I have also tried to search for Wribbenhall.  Can anyone help.

Thanks 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wribben Hall seeking information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
There is no space in the middle! It's all one word ;D

WRIBBENHALL, a chapelry in Kidderminster parish, Worcester; at Bewdley r. station, within Bewdley borough, and communicating with Bewdley town by a bridge across the Severn.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wribben Hall seeking information
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 14 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You are about to enter a minefield!  Take care. There are bucket loads of MIL(L)WARDs around Worcestershire, with no consistent spelling.  In addition, to the FamilySearch website try FreeREG  http://www.freereg.org.uk/  Spelling is pedantic unless you have the Soundex box checked.  As Worcestershire is incomplete, I would advise to search just at county level at first, rather than adding a Place.  And don't forget that Kidderminster borders with Staffordshire, where there were many more of them.

Good look

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wribbenhall seeking information
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I am not familar with the term chapelry. As the census address was given as Wibbenhall I presumed my ancestor lived in a cottage of the big house.  Is it likely the chapelry would employ him as a gardener or would he just rent one of their cottages.
I am just interested in his story.
I have been fortunate to get back to the 1841 census to Abraham Millward born 1806 but difficult to get beyond that. As you say there is a variation of spellings.

thanks again Mirrin

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
A chapelry was a subdivision of an ecclesiastical parish in England.

It had a chapel, which acted as a subsidiary place of worship to the parish church.

It doesn't refer to any part of a big house! ;D

WRIBBENHALL, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Kidderminster, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Kidderminster and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, situated on the left bank of the Severn, immediately opposite Bewdley, and connected with that town by a noble bridge of three arches over the river.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 November 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your reply and the information about Wribbenhall.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't want to butt on here but the 1851 census does have him at Wribbenhall but gives a birth 1806 at Bewdley which at that date would be a chapelry in Ribbesford parish.
Here is an entry that would fit nicely from Familysearch
Abraham Millward 20.4.1806 s of Thomas and Mary Millward

Other child Elizabeth 8.7.1804.
Marriage 28.8.1800 to Mary Pardoe.

There is a burial for a Mary at St Leonards Ribbesford 16.3.1857  .(born1777) However this could be the wife of Richard Millward and would fit with the 1851 census entry in Pewters Yard Wribbenhall Mary 75 widow and son Joseph age 53 widower both born Wribbenhall.
More interesting  is a possible burial for Thomas Milward at Ribbesford in 9 May 1807.This would explain the lack of other children.
Although no age given there is a baptism at Ribbesford 31.8.1778 to Thomas and Elizabeth Millward.
And there is a possible monument to this Thomas Millward senior inside  the church at Ribblesford 14.9.1816 age 61 years
I hope that proves useful
Ciderdrinker

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
thats great, thankyou.  I am away from home at the moment so will check this out when I get home.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 January 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Just to add my take on this...

In 1841 Abraham is listed as a gardener, living with his family at Wribbenhall (the hamlet). Note that the same address includes Thomas Pearsall aged 70, Ind, born in county.

1851 has Abraham and family at Catchems End. He is a gardener, born Bewdley.

1861 has Abraham and Family living on Bewdley Road. He is a market gardener, again born Bewdley.

1871 he is at Grove Cottage on Kidderminster Road and is a gardener, born Bewdley.

I agree that the Ribbesford baptism is very likely correct. The IGI (familysearch) also has a marriage in Kidderminster, in 1825 to Elizabeth Pearsall... that may connect with the elderly Thomas Pearsall with the family in 1841.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk