Author Topic: A Variety Artiste  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Variety Artiste
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/216344279/cecil-lonsdale

I know this is an old post so you may already have your answer .. but could this be the person you are seeking.  I came across this memorial for Cecil Lonsdale (Tom Maynard) at Preston Cemetery North Shields, Tyne and Wear.

It 'is' an old post which the OP doesn't seem to have revisited at all since the original query.

The memorial you posted looked 'very' likely though and may help someone in the future, so I looked in the old newspapers.

Shields Daily News 02 Feb 1952 page 5 col 3

NORTH SHIELDS PUBLICAN DIES

A well-known local publican, Mr Cecil Lonsdale, of 86 Bamborough Terrace, North Shields, died yesterday in Preston Hospital, aged 69. He had been on ill health for the past four years.
 Under the name of Tom Maynard he appeared in the stage as a dame in pantomime and in drama, variety shows and revues for more than 30 years.
 When he left the stage Mr Lonsdale who was born in Liverpool took over the position of manager at the Spread Eagle Inn, Preston Village, North Shields. Later he moved to the Marquess of Lorne, in Tynemouth Road. He retired a year ago.
 Mr Lonsdale leaves a widow and a son and daughter.

Boo

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 20 10:12 BST (UK) »
It 'is' an old post which the OP doesn't seem to have revisited at all since the original query.

The OP was "last active" here on Wednesday this week.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 20 15:35 BST (UK) »

The OP was "last active" here on Wednesday this week.

:-) by 'here' I assume you mean Rootschat as I can't see anything further than the opening post in 'this' thread from the OP.

Anyway,  for any future researchers who may want the info, this death notice was also published.

Shields Daily News 04 Feb 1952
page 6 col 1
LONSDALE  - At Preston Hospital on Feb 1 aged 69 years, Cecil (Tom Maynard) dearly loved husband of Helen Lonsdale. Interment Preston Cemetery Tuesday leaving 85 Bamborough Terrace 11 am Funeral private.

Boo

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 October 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
A PM to the original poster, perhaps?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
I sent a pm about this to the OP on Sunday after my post about the memorial.  No response, so I am not sure if they have read it or not.
I agree with Boo - even if the OP lost interest after their first post the subsequent help which has followed may be of interest to future researchers.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 October 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
I should have known you'd have done that, and agree - it may be useful to others.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline wayne69

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,
                            Apologies for not responding sooner: Many thanks for the extremely helpful and informative replies to my request re 'The Dotty One' He was living with a family in Liverpool who are of interest to me.
                                 Best wishes to all.