Author Topic: Books on the life of a coal mining family?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the life of a coal mining family?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 December 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
You may have already read it and its not about Wales (but it would be similar conditions).
There is a very vivid description in George Orwells book The Road To Wigan Pier (1937) ,  when he describes going down a coal mine in Chesterton

You can read the short chapter from the book here online
http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/mine/english/e_dtm

Also there is an excellent video on YouTube, showing old film footage of a coal mine (1911) called A Day in the Life of a Wigan Coal Miner.
There is film of Wales coal mines on YT too

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the life of a coal mining family?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 December 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Cas that Alexander Cordell's books Rape of the Fair Country,  The Hosts of Rebecca and Song of the Earth  (The Mortymer Trilogy) are excellent reading and give a wonderful insight into the life of mining families in the South Wales area.    I live about 25 miles from the areas where the books are set and the area is now a World Heritage Site because of its industrial past. 

I would advise anyone visiting this area who is interested in coal-mining history in South Wales to visit The Big Pit at Blaenavon where there are wonderful exhibitions about the living and working conditions of people in those days.  You can also go down the mine (complete with all the miners' gear such as helmet, light etc) which certainly adds to your understanding of conditions.  And what's more, it is all free as The Big Pit is part of the National Museum of Wales.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk