Author Topic: St Andrews Cathedral Burials  (Read 7972 times)

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Andrews Cathedral Burials
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are several trees on ancestry that have the following entry next to the 1823 death of THOMAS FAIRFULL/FAIRFOUL & that of his wife ANN LANDALE in 1827:

MI in Old Cathedral Burial Ground, St Andrews (West side).

As they all seem to have copied each other I cant find out who posted it first to ask where they found this information.

I have tried to find a downloadable transcription of the gravestones in St Andrews Cathedral Cemetery and I found those on the Scottish Monumental Transcriptions website.  I purchased what I though were 3 lists - The Eastern Cemetery & The Western Cemetery disc 1 & 2.  I was rather disappointed to find out via a bit of sleuthing and Google Street View that the 'Western Cemetery' was in Strathkiness not at the cathedral! The Eastern Cemetery is in The Pend, so is at the Cathedral, but seems to be recent burials.

Can anyone help me find this record?

Many thanks

Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrews Cathedral Burials
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 03:34 GMT (UK) »
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=639786

Maybe you could do a request on find a grave, I don't see them here though but there are still about 30% of the graves not photographed
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks whiteout7, I had a look there & scrolled through all the entries but nothing for Fairfouls or similar.

Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are several trees on ancestry that have the following entry next to the 1823 death of THOMAS FAIRFULL/FAIRFOUL & that of his wife ANN LANDALE in 1827:

MI in Old Cathedral Burial Ground, St Andrews (West side).

As they all seem to have copied each other I cant find out who posted it first to ask where they found this information.

I have tried to find a downloadable transcription of the gravestones in St Andrews Cathedral Cemetery and I found those on the Scottish Monumental Transcriptions website.  I purchased what I though were 3 lists - The Eastern Cemetery & The Western Cemetery disc 1 & 2.  I was rather disappointed to find out via a bit of sleuthing and Google Street View that the 'Western Cemetery' was in Strathkiness not at the cathedral! The Eastern Cemetery is in The Pend, so is at the Cathedral, but seems to be recent burials.

Can anyone help me find this record?

Many thanks

Sometimes good old paper holds the answer when computers let you down! I have a copy of the pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions of East Fife published by the Scottish Genealogy Society in 1971. Despite the title, many of the inscriptions published in this volume are post-1855.

Here is the one you want, in the section for St. Andrews Cathedral burials, no.414 in the published list. All the entries are in abbreviated form. This one reads:

(west side) Thos Fairfoull 25.7.1823  76,  ? Ann Landel 27.11.1827  67, (east side); by Ann F., fa Jas F.  8.5.1850  58, mo Elspeth Elder 23.2.1852  60, w of Lawrence Marrie  26.2.1872  40; Mary Ramsay Fairfoul  4.4.1947.

"fa" is father and "mo" mother. I think the ? above means the transcribers couldn't read the word on the stone, but it is presumably "wife" or "spouse".

If any of these names or dates differ from the information you have already, remember that the transcribers, despite their sterling work, often carried out in bad weather conditions, sometimes misread letters or numbers.

Harry

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Harry - that is exactly what I was trying to find!
Its a long story I wont bore you with, but it ties together 3 generations and confirms I am following the correct branch of Fairfouls.

Many thanks

Jillie
Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad it was useful info. There are other Fairfoul and Landale MI entries in that graveyard in the book I mentioned.

Harry

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Any info you have on the Fairfouls and Landales would be extremely useful if its not a bother.

Many thanks

Jillie

Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Any info you have on the Fairfouls and Landales would be extremely useful if its not a bother.

Many thanks

Jillie

no.285 (small, next 284)  Wm Melville 29.12.1851  73, w Jean Fairfoul 13.7.1849, 65, by s in law John Spence (anchor)

no.620 (grey granite next 278) Chas Fairfull, w Margaret Black 18.9.1899 87; John A. F. 21/12.1926  77, w Agnes Stirling Hall 26.9.1918  70; Jas S.P. Low 22.10.1935  53, w Margt. I. Fairfull 30.12.1959  74 (see 618)

no.917  (coped, latin) John Brydie dean of guild 31.7.1637  74, w Margt Fairfull, .8.1637, 68; I B  MF
 (shield, parted per pale, dexter, on a bend sinister couped, three mullets; sinister, three birds displayed? on a chief? [then there's a reference to various reference books]

=====

no.391 Robt Duncan baker here 6.12.1859 (8)2, w Margt Walker 13.10.1813  35, 2w  Christina Landale 19.3.1877  97, three chn inf, chn And d Indiana, USA, Julia 14.4.1840  22, John 29.10.1840  19, Robt 20.1.1858  38, Christina 8.9.1859 38, Alex 18.7.1884  68, Jas 5.10.1898  74.

no.537 (marble, next 536) Robt Landale of Grange 26.12.1849  78, w Euphemia Duncan 29.8.1833  (5)6, da Eliz 14.11.1857  36 (w of Robt Tullis farmer Wester Balrymonth 29.7.1873  64, s John Edie T. 30.8.1886  34.

no.615 (marble tablet in wall) John Landale esq of Ardit, w Euphemia Bethune  .3.1780, 91, 2s Geo. .2.1788 "a young man" etc., by J.A. 1783 (latin, faint)

to be continued … there are more Landales/Landels!

Harry

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 December 14 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again - this is great - maybe I should try & find this book!

Jillie
Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland