Author Topic: Death of Thomas Henry Smith.  (Read 2010 times)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Thomas Henry Smith.
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Simply help!!!!!    Do I have the same Thomas Henry Smith? Charles William Smith was born 14 Jun 1891 in the Reg Dist of Saint Olave Southwark. His father is listed as Thomas Henry Smith a Preserved Meat Warehouseman of 17 College St Horsleydown.  All of which is correct.

I have not been able to find a death record for Thomas Henry Smith born 1860 East Stonehouse Devon. Other than that of a Thomas Henry Smith died 10 Dec 1891. Accidental Death consequence of burns. Reg Dist of Saint Olave Southwark. Inquest held 11 Dec 1891 by Deputy Coroner for Southwark. His address at the time was 71 Stanworth (?) St Bermondsey. He was noted as an labourer.

If he is one in the same then he is not the father of my grandmother Lilian Mildred Smith/Smythe.

At the time I believe in Bermondsey there was  a cold meat storage facility owned by Johnson,Cole,Brier & Cordsey Ltd. It is possible he worked there. Was there a fire there ??   

The address is different but the family moved at least 5 times that I know of in the space of three years.

I have contacted the Southwark Coroner and they are unable to help.

Is there anyway I can tie the two together?

Keith.....

Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas Henry Smith.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 23:49 GMT (UK) »
His father is listed as Thomas Henry Smith a Preserved Meat Warehouseman of 17 College St Horsleydown.

What was the mothers name and maiden name?

he is not the father of my grandmother Lilian Mildred Smith/Smythe.

When & where was she born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, mothers name  was Florence Amelia Hexter
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Lilian was baptised 30th May 1898 in Folkestone. Thomas Smith  was given as the father.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Where is Florence in 1901 and what is her marital status? 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Head of household living in Tunbridge Wells Kent.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Head of household living in Tunbridge Wells Kent.

1891 shows birthyear 1861 and birthplace Torquay.  1901 she is Amelia b 1865 Exeter

what is her marital status?

Marital status means married or widowed.  1901 shows her as married

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Unknown. However she remarried in 1905 and was partner to the same man, Richard Miles at her daughters wedding in 1904

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the 1901 Census. Listed at the house is also Robert Murton a boarder from Folkestone. The enumerator noted below him Lily (Lilian) Smith age 3 born in Folkestone.
( relationship to head crossed out) The only other mention of Folkestone was made by Lilian on her 100 birthday where she noted she was born in Folkestone.  This is where my whole need to confirm Thomas's death comes in.
At this stage I am leaning towards Robert Murton being the father and either Florence Amelia or her daughter Florence the mother.  Something I don't think I will ever be able to prove.
I have not been able to find a birth certificate for Lilian and I know the requirement was bypassed when she received her message from the Queen on her 100th.
Florence Amelia changed her name to Smythe around 1904/5. All marriage certificates of her children that I have been able to find noted their father, Thomas was an Accountant he was noted as thus on the baptism record for Lilian as well. That was a lie he never was an accountant.