Author Topic: 1890s uniform identification  (Read 2108 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1890s uniform identification
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

This is Archibald Thomas Bellman (1875-1940)

Can anyone identify his uniform? He was born in a workhouse in Peckham, and in 1898 (aged about 23), he married his wife (my great-grandmother's sister) in north Essex. She lived near Colchester, so I was thinking that perhaps he joined up and his barracks were in Colchester, hence how they met. I haven't seen his marriage certificate (his descendant, who emailed me this photo, has seen it, but presumably it doesn't say what regiment he was in).

Very little is known about him. He was illegitimate, but even his mother's name on his birth certificate hasn't yielded any extra info on his family. He was apparently Jewish (but was baptised - apparently in a job lot of five illegitimate workhouse babies). I can't see any Army records for him, and by the time of the 1901 census, he was a rivetter in East Donyland (presumably in one of the shipyards that used to be on the River Colne).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Helen.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1890s uniform identification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
He's in a Cavalry Regiment - possibly 11th Hussars?

See this picture:
http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyuniforms/britishcavalry/11thhussars1900.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder if it was cavalry (my brother is in H. Cav!) - how would that work with him being from a humble background? Then again, they're not all officers in cavalry regiments, of course....

The frogging and the aiguilettes match up with that photo, certainly. Where do you think we could look for more info? Might the 11th Hussars have a museum? (I suspect they ceased to exist a while ago... a lot of the regiments are disappearing at the moment).

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Now part of the King's Royal Hussars - see http://www.krh.org.uk/

But don't assume I'm right! ::)
My guess would be Hussars, and the photo of the 11th certainly looks a good fit - bu there may be other possibilities?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I think perhaps he is 14th(Kings)Hussars see www.hussards-photos.com and scroll down to 14th Kings Hussars and select  photo of corporal.
Whilst I nearly  agreed with KGarrard as possible 11th Hussars, they have a pillbox cap with a lighter  coloured band.

James

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
This is all great - thanks!

Or should that be.... huzzah! (groan)

Next (inevitable) question - where could one look, knowing Archibald was a Hussar of some stripe, for more info? I've tried Find My Past, but nothing there (presumably because he didn't get an army pension).

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh well! I was close!! ;D

The 14th were also amalgamated into the King's Royal Hussars, so it's the same website that I gave you before.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ok! I couldn't find an email address or contact details on their site. Which is strange....! (or I was looking in the wrong place).

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Try this link instead:
http://horsepowermuseum.co.uk/

It's the Museum of the Kings Royal Hussars.

However it does say:

While we do hold various papers and books relating to the founding regiments of The King’s Royal Hussars, namely the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO), the 11th Hussars (PAO) and The Royal Hussars (PWO), we do not hold Records of Service. These are usually held at the following locations:

Pre 1920 – National Archive, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU.