Author Topic: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland  (Read 4296 times)

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born - Aberdeen, Scotland. Moved to Canada in 1971
    • View Profile
This marriage was supposedly in 1864, in Antrim, N. Ireland. Sophia sometimes called Susannah. He may have John in his name. He was in the army and served in India. They moved around in Scotland a lot and settled in Aberdeen. He died in 1896 there. I also don't have evidence of their births. Thanks for any help. Kathy
Anderson, Armit, Baird, Black, Booth, Clark [N. Ireland], Collie, Corbert, Donaldson, Duncan, Euart, Ferguson, Fleming [N. Ireland], Forbes, Fyfe, Gibson, Gill, Johnston, Laing, Lobban, Lumsden, Mackie, Marshall, Martin, McIntosh, McKenzie/ Kydon, McLeod, McRobb, Milner, Neilson, Paterson, Pride, Rennie, Ritchie, Simpson, Slater, Smith [N. Ireland], Stephen, Stewart, Thomson,
Troup. All in Scotland plus as noted.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 14 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Is the 1864, Antrim information from a child's Scottish birth certificate or another source?

Children of William Flem(m)ing & Susannah Houston-
Helen Maria (1869 Perth) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ7H-K84
Sarah Ann (1870 Stirling) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ7X-DMX
Sarah Jane Emily (1871 Edinburgh) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQW9-MQ1

Do you know what religion the family were? civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 but non-Catholic ones from 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 14 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info you provided. I had no record of Sarah Ann. The marriage info I have was from the birth record of daughter Elizabeth, born in Aberdeen in 1866. It notes marriage on July 12 1864 in Belfast. In the birth rec. of daughter Ann Isabella in 1875, also in Aberdeen, the marriage was on March 25 1867 in Old Machar. Military records seem to indicate he was born in parish of Donagheloney in Waringston, County Down around 1837.
In death record, parents are identified as John Fleming and Mary Clark. I have the 1881 and 1891 censuses, and names, dobs and birthplaces seem to match. I don't know the religion. I can't find them in 1871. Kathy
Anderson, Armit, Baird, Black, Booth, Clark [N. Ireland], Collie, Corbert, Donaldson, Duncan, Euart, Ferguson, Fleming [N. Ireland], Forbes, Fyfe, Gibson, Gill, Johnston, Laing, Lobban, Lumsden, Mackie, Marshall, Martin, McIntosh, McKenzie/ Kydon, McLeod, McRobb, Milner, Neilson, Paterson, Pride, Rennie, Ritchie, Simpson, Slater, Smith [N. Ireland], Stephen, Stewart, Thomson,

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
rootsireland.ie have the following marriages for William Flem[m]ing  in 1864   
Church Marriage   Fleming   William   1864   Co. Cork      
Church Marriage   Fleming   William   1864   Co. Derry   
Church Marriage   Flemming   William   1864   Co. Mayo   
Civil Marriage   Flemming   William   1864   Co. Mayo   
but no corresponding marriages for a Sophia or Susannah Smith.

Have you checked SP for the 1867 Old Machar marriage? Why would they have given 2 dates? Wonder if the Antrim one was made up for respectability?

Just to clarify for myself  :) is it William's death record that states parents John Fleming & Mary Clark? Who was the informant? Can't find any Co Down baptisms for a William or a John Flem[ming] 1836 - 1838.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
rootsireland.ie have the following marriages for William Flem[m]ing  in 1864   
but no corresponding marriages for a Sophia or Susannah Smith.

Was bride's surname not Houston? (fits with the birth records I posted and OP's original post.

I also couldn't spot a marriage in Ireland but I'd also be concerned about conflicting dates. It's not unusual to have slightly different years but usually the month and day aren't that far apart from each other.

Waringstown is in Donaghcloney civil parish (think it's suffered in the translation). Lots of Co. Down information here so might be worth checking under Fleming-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Was bride's surname not Houston? (fits with the birth records I posted and OP's original post.
Whoops, sorry didn't follow up your links; surname in OP's title is Smith - that's all I went on.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 December 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thanks, everyone for trying to help me. The info on William's parents was in his death record. His wife's name changes all the time. The things holding the info together are the censuses, and her death record in 1900 in Aberdeen. Father Robert Smith, mother Sophia Houston. The Scottish record for the marriage was in Ancestry. She is called Susanah Jane Smith. I have no idea why different names are used at various times. Kathy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
It may, and this only a possibility, be that she was born to unmarried  Houston and later took the name of stepfather/mother's partner Smith.

Now to confuse things even further?

Marriage of William Fleming & Susanah Jane Smith (1867 Old Machar, Aberdeenshire)-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTJ3-8XM

Birth of Susannah Jane Fleming (1869), parents William Fleming & Susannah Jane Smith/Shellford-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYGK-QHJ

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have had some thoughts along the same lines. I have also seen the name Shellford in my research. The problem is knowing what's fact. Without proof, William and Sophia are as far back as I am able to go. Problem is that two of their daughters (Mary) Elizabeth and Ann Isabella were my great grandmothers.
Kathy