Author Topic: Bruges Belgium  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Bruges Belgium
« on: Friday 05 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information re Jeanette ARMER Immigrant from UK, year unknown, she died in June 1871
in Bruges, West-Vlaanderen. She was born in England in 1795. Does she appear on any  Immigration or Census records ?, she died a spinster so there will be no marriage record.
Any information would be most welcome.
Kind regards,
Ned

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bruges Belgium
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 14 13:18 GMT (UK) »
A possibility?

A tree online (unsourced) has:
Janet Armer or Armour, born 4th July 1797 in Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
Daughter of George and Charlotte
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There are unlikely to be any immigration records.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27J3-279
the original image of shows:
 - no occupation for her
 - witnesses are not relatives
 - address is "32 rue des ???ghers?"

While "census" records for Belgium do exist (population registers) they are not as widely used by genealogists mostly because they simply haven't been indexed or put online.

However, we can look at other family events.  I think this is very interesting:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27NY-CZF
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27NY-HN9

These are two marriages in the same year for the same woman - the first in January has been written over with something about the marriage being voided and the entry doesn't seem to be complete (no witness signatures).  The second (to a different man) is complete. I think she was aged 34, b. June 1824.  Her mother is listed as Joanna Armer in the marriage document itself but one of the witnesses signs "Jannet Armer".

Here is Maria's birth:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ebp/
Joanna is "thirty", I think? Born "Hallow" Essex.
Someone who is better at Dutch might be able to tell you if there's any indication as to whether they were, in fact, married or not.

It is possible Joanna = Jeanette/Jannet?  (If she was never actually married to Joseph(us))

search.arch.be has many indexed records.
Maria (daughter of "Joanna Armer") had a daughter Caroline Marie Jeannette Beke who seems to have died in 1905, never married.  Maria died in 1902 and her husband in 1910.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad, many thanks but Jeanette was born in Essex.

jorose, Many thanks for your indepth reply, it has raised many question marks, this could be the same person as Jeanette was born in Harlow, Essex. More research needed but translation my main problem.
Ned

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 December 14 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Your dutch/flemisch is fine Jorose and you’re right, Josephus Toeloeze and Joanna/Jeannette/Jannett Armer weren’t married.

dates : dd/mm/yy

Marriage cert  Maria Theresia Toeloeze and Amandus Beke  -  Bruges, 06/10/1858,  09:00 a.m
(proclamations at the main entrance of the city hall on Sunday 19 and 26 September 1858, at noon)
Groom  :  Amandus Beke, 32 years old, ° Torhout 17/04/1826, particulier, living in Bruges, son of Joannes Beke,
60 years old, without profession, living in Lichtervelde, present and consenting, and from Eugenia Quartier, housewife, deceased Torhout 20/09/1847.
Bride  :  Maria Theresia Toeloeze, 34 years old, ° Bruges 24/06/1824, particulier, living in Bruges, natural and recognized daughter of Josephus Toeloeze, 58 years old, customs officer (brigadier), living at Veurne, consenting
by notarial act, and of Joanna Armer, housewife, 63 years old, living at Bruges, present and consenting.
Witnesses : George Borradaile, rentier, 53 years old, William (Menshall ?), rentier, 65 years old, Louis Claeys,
master saddler, 38 years old, Joannes Van Pachtenbeke, master upholsterer, 50 years old. Witnesses all residing in Bruges, no relatives.
Civil registrar : Frederik Van der Plancke, alderman
(they all signed, including the father of the groom and the bride’s mother)

about the 1th intended marriage of Maria Theresia Toeloeze : it stated that the cert must be regarded as void because the future groom, Josephus Franciscus Praet, became ill on the day of the marriage.
No, it wasn’t an excuse or so, as I found his death cert, he died six days later.

The birthcert of Maria Theresia Toeloeze   
born Bruges, 24th June 1824, 03:00 a.m
registration date : 26th June 1824, 16:00 p.m
Declarant and Father : Joseph Toeloeze, 24 years old, born Ostend, servant, living at Bruges; Nieuwe Gentweg, he stated that he is the father of the child.
Mother : Joanna Armer, 30 years old, born Hallow; Essex; England.
Witnesses : Josephus Foutier, 50 years old, strap maker, Joannes Vanderstraete, 50 years old, shoemaker, both living in Bruges.
Civil registrar : Jacobus Denet, alderman

Death cert, Maria Theresia Toeloeze
+ Bruges 01/05/1902  at 01:00 a.m, registration same day at 09:00 a.m
Maria Theresia Toeloeze, housewife, 77 years and ten months old, born and living in Bruges, deceased in house n° D. 23 Maagdenstraat, wife of Armand Beke, state pensioner, living in Bruges, recognised daughter of Joseph and Joanna Armer, both deceased.
Declarants : Henry Simon, 51 years old, shoemaker and Ferdinand Colembier, 73 years old, laborer, living in Bruges, no relatives of the deceased.
Civil registrar : René Fraeys, alderman

Jeannette Armer her address (also the place where she died) on her death cert is  Rue des Bouchers or in flemisch: Beenhouwersstraat.

Bruges has a free City Archive database for births, marriages and deaths 1796 - 1910. You need to register (click on ‘Registreren) and it’s only in flemisch but the database is very easily searchable, put a name in the search box, enter, and you get the results. Click on one of the results and you see the cert.

http://www.archiefbankbrugge.be/
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Ned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 December 14 17:19 GMT (UK) »
leen

Thank you for that translation, very much appreciated and loads of useful detail.
Kind regards
Ne