Author Topic: Marriage lookup please - Jersey around 1810  (Read 1536 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup please - Jersey around 1810
« on: Sunday 03 July 05 06:32 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage that possibly took place on Jersey, before 1815.  The couple's names are Thomas CASSIDY and Mary WILLIAMS. 

I believe these are the parents of Thomas CASSIDY (my 3xgreat-grandfather) who was christened in 1817, in St Mary and St Peter church.  In 1815 there is a Thomas CASSIDY (+ 1 woman + 1 female child + 1 male child) mentioned on General Don's Muster roll of able-bodied men on Jersey.  I had thought that this was my Thomas CASSIDY but have since had new information from a cousin, showing him to have been christened in 1817.

My cousin advises that Thomas's parents were Thomas and Mary, so I am now looking for a marriage between them, or the christening of any of their children, between about 1810 and 1820.  I can find no reference on the web to St Mary and St Peter church existing before the 1860s, does anyone know where it would ahve been in 1817?

Can anyone help with lookups? It would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Prue  :)

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Jersey around 1810
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Prue -

I am sorry I have not had a lot of success with this one either.

Again, I can confirm the birth information from the register transcript for St M & St P church 1811-1839, but the marriage records seem to be deficient.

CASSEDY Thomas - son of Thomas and Mary formerly Williams, b. 12 Nov 1817, bapt 12 Nov;  god parents - Hugh Cassedy, Judith Cullen and Mary Le Caplain.

The register gave a bit of history of the church, which I think was mostly established for the Irish community in Jersey at the time, although I believe there would also have been a large French catholic community.  It startied off in homes, then a small chapel was built around 1811 in Hue Street, St Helier, later moving to larger premises in Vauxhall.  It now worships in an impressive modern building on Wellington Hill.

The names and choice of church may give you some leads on the family's background.

I hope this is some help.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Jersey around 1810
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
You've come up trumps again!  ;D  Thank you very, very much, it is great to have the confirmation of this baptism even if there isn't a marriage record.  I think it's likely or at least possible that Thomas's parents married off the island, perhaps in Ireland?
Anyway, I greatly appreciate your help  :D  and in particular your information about the history of the church.
Thank you
Prue