Author Topic: William Bentley Pot Sinker Hednesford  (Read 4532 times)

Offline little daisy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Staffordshire Colliery Deaths
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 13 14:30 GMT (UK) »
hugh doorbar.  was the only mine rescuer  killed  trying to rescue  people in the   minnie pit mine. he did  recuse afew... but when he went in . again his  breathing aparatus failed. and he  died......   ive been  lucky to find. hes buried in   kidsgrove churchyard....   so thanks everyone.
im doing a project for  my husband. who is  very interested in coalmining  in staffordshire....

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Its a very worthwhile project.Its very important that in the words of the song;The story it shall never grow old.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Abstract for Wills and Admin

Hugh Doorbar of Sprink Farm, Biddulph, Staffordshire died 10th November 1905. Probate 10th May to William Doorbar, collier, Mary Bailey wife of Henry and Charlotte Armitt wife of Thomas.

It is possible he may be at rest in the Biddulph area. I will keep a look out for that unusual name
regards
Alf

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 November 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
CANNOCK CEMETERY

Osborne BOTTOM, killed in the Mid Cannock Colliery, 11th April 1938 aged 45. He is at rest with his wife in Cannock Cemetery,

Prior to employment at this colliery he was Private 51827 of the 3rd South Staffordshire Regiment. He joined up on the 10th December 1915 was posted to the Army Reserve awaiting call up. He gave his home address as 147, Hendesford Road, Cannock, aged 25 years and 7 months and worked as stallman in W Cannack Colliery Co Ltd, Hednesford. His next of kin was his father, George of 92, West Hill Hednesford (his mother was called Ellen),  and later his wife, Elizabeth May nee Patrick whom he married 10th June 1916 at Leicester and lived at 45 Hednesford Road, Cannock. They had one issue, Frank Leonard born 19th January 1918. On the 6th June 1918 he was called to the colours at Walsall.  On the 9th December 1918 he was discharged from the army at Ripon to join his wife and son at 10, Upper Kent Street, Leicester. He only served in England which included his time in the Army reserve.  His date of birth was the 10th May 1892.

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I want to thank everyone for all the great information about Colliery Deaths in Staffordshire.  I have just found out that 4 members of my family were killed in the Minnie Pit disaster in January 1918 - I'm sure that other families has similar, if not worse, tradegys in their families - but it makes you realise how hard lives were in these coalmining areas.

Thanks again.
Val

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
A great source of information, I was hoping to find more about John Rhodes, especially any reports that may shed some light on any family members.

(Free Reg )
Tipton. Church St. Martin Staffordshire
John Rhodes Burial 24 Jun 1855  born 1808 Age 47 Abode Horseley Heath

(Mining Accidents) - RHODES John 22/06/1855
Colliery: Hange. Owner: Trustees of John Round. Tipton: Stafford Fall of coal. 4 killed.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Annette,the main Mining Disaster Index only shows Disasters where there were five or more deaths.
http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/disasters/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 December 14 06:44 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is interested the Chesterton Mining museum at Apedale near Chesterton, Staffordshire. Has a great deal of detail on the Mini Pit disaster including a detail map reconstruction of the accident made at the time by investigators showing the locations of the bodies of the dead miners and other details (dead horses, fallen pit props, etc.). It is quite harrowing but does impress upon one the scale of the disaster.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 December 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Annette,the main Mining Disaster Index only shows Disasters where there were five or more deaths.
http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/disasters/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.

http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/database/result/20488.html

That  is where I found John  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)