Author Topic: Ancient Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) Orphanage, Southborough  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancient Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) Orphanage, Southborough
« on: Monday 08 December 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

The RAOB ran an orphanage at Park House,24 Park Road, in Southborough,Tunbridge Wells from about 1920 until 1945. Im interested in hearing from anyone who has information about what life was like there, the treatment of children, details about the building etc. Also I am interested in any information about the RAOB Lodge in Tunbridge Wells and its history. Photos are always particularly welcome.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) Orphanage, Southborough
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I am also interested in making contact with someone who has first hand knowledge about the operation of a RAOB lodge in general or the one in Tunbridge Wells in particular. So if anyone was or is a member of the RAOB or has or had a relative that belonged to one (especially the one in Tunbridge Wells) please make yourself known so we can correspond.

Offline Hersheba

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 23 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smokey807, What did you want to know about the RAOB? As a current member I can help.

Offline lindyholl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
My mother and uncle were both sent to the orphanage after their mother died. Their father, my grandfather was a formidable member of the Buffaloes.
My mother was born in 1920 and she was sent there when she was 7.  Her brother was only 5. The stories she has told me are not very pleasant.  She apparently was punished a great deal by the Mistress and Master.  One of the things she mentioned was that she and my uncle were sent lovelly gifts from family but they were never allowed to keep them.
My mother was a wonderful writer, she put on plays and was also a good runner.  I do have many photos which I would be happy to share if your interested.  Her name was Doris Ellen Webster, and my Uncle was Royston Martin Webster.  She was there until she turned 16.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 23 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Hersheba and lindyholl and welcome both to RootsChat.

Smokey807 hasn't been online here since Feb 2021, but hopefully still has the same email address and will receive notification of your posts. I'm sure they will be happy to hear from you both.

Offline lindyholl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 April 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, I hope so also,