Author Topic: Surname-Allan-Maribyong,Essendon- Victoria-Australia  (Read 10873 times)

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname-Allan-Maribyong,Essendon- Victoria-Australia
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 18 December 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Okay. Thank -you for that Andy. I thought that I had put in the relationship of Barry to Laura, must've missed that, sorry.

Thank-you to you all for all your help.

Id like to ask another question but its about Lauras brother do I post it here or start a new thread?.
England ,wardrobe,buzza /Buzzo >Penzance ,St Hilary,Cornwall.
Richards,Roberts,Parrish,Paris,Norton,knight,. Whear,Sparnon,squires, Fenwick ,

Scotland-hardy,McRae,Morris,walker,burnside.>Glasgow to Australia.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Germany>Ballarat vic >? To Patterson>miner.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 18 December 14 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, just supporting what Andy has said in the previous post.

The family of the informant Barry, OAKLEY were living in the house next door to Laura from 1963 to at least 1977. Perhaps they were friendly with Laura. Both parents of Barry died before Laura, but their son Barry was living still and he was the informant for Laura's death cert.

ADDING for  clarity, Lara is registered with no Milroy by 1980, so may have been living alone

I believe the level of detail he passed on to the Registrar about Laura probably had come from a relative of Laura's who knew her entire life history.

Perhaps he contacted a relative when she died.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 18 December 14 04:51 GMT (UK) »
About which of Laura's brother's do you need information?  May as well ask it here.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 18 December 14 05:44 GMT (UK) »
If Barry had of got info off family then somebody should've known the youngest mentioned(the youngest child of Lauras was still living and is so today..just saying that's all..

okay...next question.

Laura had a brother Leo Barton Patterson born Rainbow 1910..he married Florence May Smith.
Just before his marriage he changed his name to Halton only weeks before he married.
They were a family from Tasmania if my memory serves me correctly think it was a Charles and Edith?..theres a newspaper clipping about how the dad went to court due to a dispute with one of his sons.

Anyways...according to Leos daughter (who used to work for bdm in Victoria) She said her father
had been fostered out as far as they know by this family.. I'm in Qld so I cant go and search any offline records in person..

But just wondering how would I go about determining when or why?.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 18 December 14 05:54 GMT (UK) »
If Barry had of got info off family then somebody should've known the youngest mentioned(the youngest child of Lauras was still living and is so today..just saying that's all..

A simple error due to confusion and distress at a difficult time.

I stand by my statement

I believe the level of detail he passed on to the Registrar about Laura probably had come from a relative of Laura's who knew her entire life history.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 18 December 14 06:23 GMT (UK) »
I agree Sue.    Can I assure our OP that there's many questions facing the informant when death registrations are being prepared.  It is a duty that I have undertaken on a number of occasions.

In NSW (I am not sure about Vic) the informant provides the family history information to the Funeral Director at the same time as making the arrangements for the funeral, choosing flowers, music, pall bearers, venue, time of day (significant if there's elderly relatives/friends travelling long distances), and providing proof of ability to pay the costs of the funeral, choosing the coffin, the printing of the order of service, arranging a venue for refreshments after the service, and many other practical matters.   

One of the series of questions posed is for the family history section of the registration of the death.   The funeral director poses those questions during the course of all the other arrangements being made.   So it is entirely possible that the person providing the answers may have misheard the question, or the person recording the answers may have misunderstood the reply.   Of course, it is not just family that grieve, but close friends also grieve.   At times of grieving, we can all mishear or become distracted by the numbers of questions, or perhaps the varying demands made by others when we ourselves need to be comforted.

These are some of the reasons that cause family historians to recognise that some of the information on death certificates is not as reliable as we would hope for.

Perhaps the lass who is living, but has been noted as deceased on the death registration, should consider contacting  the Victoria BDM Principal Registrar, and seek  to have the registration altered to remove the word 'deceased' and add her age at the time of the registration of the death.   Likely there will be legal formalities to attend to.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 18 December 14 06:44 GMT (UK) »
JM as usual, you have provided excellent information.  I have only been an informant twice and both times in South Australia but the requirements are the same ie the information is provided to the funeral director etc etc.

Overton you understand these events are for Leo born 1910?

Birth
PATTERSON Leo Barton
Father Chas Frederick  Mother Sarah Ellen ATKINS
At Rainbow  1910  Reg#30112

Australian Electoral Roll
PATTERSON Leo Barton  31 Henty Street, Richmond North  Painter

Marriage
HALTON Leo Barton
SMITH Florence May
1939  Reg#14304

HALTON Florence May  347 Wattletree Road, Malvern  HD
HALTON Leo Barton  345 Wattletree Road, Malvern  Driver

They last appear together on the electoral roll in 1954 living at Bentleigh, Vic.  His occupation painter.

Death
202506/1976    
HALTON Leo Barton
Father Charles  Mother Edith Rhoda

The 1939 marriage certificate should list his father as Charles PATTERSON and mother as Sarah ATKINS.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 18 December 14 06:47 GMT (UK) »
When I was just 16 I took  over the care of funeral arrangements for my fathers funeral..my older brother wasn't living at home at the time..my mother wasn't coping. I also helped my brother arrange my mothers funeral in 2010.Nsw so I know these aren't easy times.

The "Charles and Edith Rhoda" were the Haltons' not Leos biological parents of Frederick Charles (aka Charles) Patterson and Sarah Ellen Aitkins.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 18 December 14 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Ok so I know who Leos biological parents are ok ,when he was born, where, who he marraiued, etc etc ,as like I said I've been researching this family for many years now(still got some bricks though lol)

What I want to know is "why" he was fostered out to the Haltons and "when"

"how" do I go about finding this out?.

Thank-you.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,