Author Topic: From Montgomeryshire to America - Thomas Lloyd  (Read 24846 times)

Offline susanrcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
From Montgomeryshire to America - Thomas Lloyd
« on: Sunday 03 July 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I live in the States and have been trying to trace my roots via the internet only because I am originally from Georgia but now live in Washington State.  Anyway, I have traced back to when my first Ancestor came to America.  His name was Thomas Lloyd of Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, Wales. From following his line back through his parents, Charles Lloyd and Elizabeth Stanley and his GrandParents John Lloyd and Katherine Wynne and Thomas Stanley and Sarah Burton, I have stumbled upon a huge mess.  According to what I have been able to find on the internet John Lloyd's parents were David Lloyd and Ales Lloyd (one website had them as having the same father, David Lloyd).  Then another website had 3 different David Lloyd's listed and 2 of them had the same birthday. I am very confused at this point and have no way to verify any information since I live so far away.  I would like to know if anyone can help me and also if I have any relatives that may be reading this  :) .  Please let me know if you can help me.  My e-mail address is EMAIL REMOVED BY MODERATOR, TO PREVENT POSSIBLE SPAMMING
Thank you,
Susan

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: From Montgomeryshire to America - Thomas Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi susan and welcome to rootschat!

It would be wonder ful to help you as you obviously have lots on information to start with!

Have you been using census records and are there any missing?

Is there any specific information you are looking for?

You don't give dates, which are essential to identify families with "popular" names like LLOYD in Wales.

If you can post, for example, the 1881 census for your family we can maybe take it from there.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline susanrcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry about not leaving the dates but I am still fairly new to all this :)
I have been up all night still researching and this is what I have found out (It's rather complicated).  I'll note where I am having difficulty but I also need verification for all of it.  Right now I just have to trust what I find on the internet.  Here goes:

Charles Lloyd born Abt. 1613 and died Abt. 1650 married Elizabeth Stanley born Abt. 1617 and died Abt. 1650  (death dates are the same ??? )

One of their four children was Thomas Lloyd born Abt. 1639 and died Abt. 1695 (this is the one that went to America and became Governor of Pennsylvania, appointed by William Penn). He married (I have found 3 names for his wife  ??? ) 1. Mary Jones 2. Patience Gardiner Story 3. Catherine Lloyd Wyn.

The rest of it is very complicated and difficult to explain here in this forum but I think I figured it out on paper.  Now I just have to input it in to my Family Tree Maker.  That is what I was doing when I found I had 3 wives names for Thomas Lloyd.

If anyone can help me with this stumbling block I would greatly appreciate it.  I'll check back often and also post my other difficulties if that is alright.

Thanks,
Susan

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
this is all rather earlier than my resources to help you, but it sounds rather worrying!

I wonder what resources online you have found to help you trace your family?  have you managed to verify it by checking parish records?  The fact that you have several wives for the same person sounds as though several people have done the same piece of research and made different guesses!

Are you using submitted IGI records, for example?  It has been known for errors to creep into people's research in this way.

I would suggest that you go to the earliest record that you know to be true and work back checking as you go.  This way you can avoid following the wrong line.  If there is something specific you would like checked, post it on this board and people will help or suggest where a solution may be found.

Good luck!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline susanrcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know how to check Parish records and I don't know what IGI is. I agree that I think people have their records mixed up.  I have been using Ancestry.com and Family Search.org plus just using the internet search engine.  Thank you for all the trouble you are going to.  Like I said I am still new to this. I just don't want to log anything that isn't correct.
Perhaps I can learn here how to properly look things up.
Thanks,
Susan

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 05 16:21 BST (UK) »
Susan I apologise if I'm sounding harsh!  I'm just a bit anxious on your behalf!

I assume you have used US censuses to trace your family back using Ancestry?  Have you got back to one that comes from Wales that way?

The IGI is a set of records found on the familysearch site.  some of these are written out directly from official records and others are "submitted" by researchers and apparently that is where mistakes can creep in - we are all human after all!

Edit: you told me when they arrived!  I think you should post for the specific folk you are stuck on and see if someone local can help you.

Arranroots  ;)

Offline susanrcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 July 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
The only part of Ancestry.com that I can access is the U.S. Census and the One Family Tree.  I will have to save up to afford the rest of it. 
I will go back and double check the records that I have found posted on all the sites to see if they are IGI or if they are "submitted".  I'm sure that is where I am running in to trouble. 
The one that I am stuck on right now is finding out the name of the wife of "Thomas Lloyd" born April 17, 1640 in Dolobran, Montgomery, Wales.
BTW no need to apologise. You don't sound harsh. I am very happy that someone is talking to me about this. Now I don't feel so alone.

:)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 05 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

You have come to the right place as folk will always be pleased to talk to you here!

I'm sorry that my resources are not early enough to help you.  I hope that someone else can.
The Beginners board may have some pointers that will help, even if you are not exactly a Beginner!

Arranroots  ;)

Offline shandera563

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Susan..................I too am looking up info for a friend and have the same exact info you do. I think my friend Thomas is your cousin if your dads name is Frank and he had a brother that goes by Chuck or Charlie. Let me know...maybe we can work on this together.