Author Topic: The grave of old John Brown  (Read 5987 times)

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The grave of old John Brown
« on: Sunday 14 December 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I admit this is a long shot, given the name of the deceased.  The details below are to try and avoid you going over old ground.

I am trying to find out about the death and burial of my great great grandfather John Brown.  He was born 1807 at Ketley, part of Wellington, Shropshire.  In 1851 he lived at Bloomfield, Tipton, Staffordshire, with wife Mary (Mary Ann Davies) and children Elizabeth, Edwin Jonas and Selina, and was a miner. 

I have not been able to find any of the family in 1861, but John's son Jonas and family were recorded in 1871 at Wallbrook Street, Sedgley - the records for this area in 1861 seem to be missing.  I have not found John brown 1807 in the 1871 census or later and can only assume he died before then.

On 8 Feb 1864 Jonas married at Tipton, residence Tipton.  Later Jonas, Rebecca and family moved to Brownhills, Staffs.

20 Jun 1864 son John was born at Princes End (Entry of birth - EOB).
6 Aug 1871 son Henry born 19 Wallbrook Street, Wallbrook - EOB.
1 May 1874 son Jonas, ditto.
20 Aug 1877, daughter Hannah Amelia born 23 Wallbrook Street, ditto.

Family lore says "they're all buried at Coseley", but I have not found anything to bear that out.

So, the target area is 1851-1871 in the vicinity of Princes End, Coseley or Tipton in the heart of the Black Country.

If anyone out there can help it would be very much appreciated.

Hoping for a lucky break, Dion.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The grave of old John Brown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sure if any of these might help from a combination of Family search & Free Reg.
John Brown Burials Christ Church Coseley, Staffordshire

11 May 1860, age 54, abode Old End.

21 Oct 1862, age 21 days, abode Highfields

29 Jun 1871, age 45, abode Coseley

Plus John Thomas Brown 16 Jul 1865, age 7 year 7 months

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 December 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Colin.  I think you have cracked it!  Old End fits, too (assuming it was where Old End Lane is today).

Oddly enough, I visited Christ Church some years back, but didn't find anything to fit.  Maybe overgrown or just weathered to the point of being unreadable.

There are 2 likely matches in the GRO index, one Dudley, one Wolverhampton.  Dudley looks the more likely, so I will go ahead and order.  I've hesitated to try this before because there may not be any corroborating evidence, for example if he died in an accident or in hospital the informant might be the coroner or a doctor.

I think the infant and child are probably unrelated, but the one aged 45 could be from the same family.

Thanks again,
Dion

Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

I wonder if you are able to assist with John's wife Mary Ann Brown - there are even more deaths in the GRO!  She was born in 1808.  I suspect the difficulty may lie in relating the two.

Living in hope,
Dion.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dion,
Sorry for the delay, I tried earlier but Roots Chat was very busy.

No luck in finding any more so I guess Mary Ann Brown is one of the 11 GRO deaths 1851-1871 registered in Dudley. No trace of any burial record on line. There are some marriages in the area after 1860 but I think these are unlikely.

One Ancestry member details the family but no detail on their parents John & Mary Ann, other than what you probably know.

John Brown 1826 – 1911
Elizabeth Brown 1831 –
Mary Brown 1834 –
Edwin Brown 1836 – 1881 Dudley, Staffordshire
Jonas Brown 1838 – 1889
Selina Brown 1844 Wednesbury Oak, Staffordshire (This is Tipton)
       Selina died 1 May 1936 in Wenlock.

1861 – Coseley Terrace, Sedgley.
Selena Brown Servant 17 born
For Daniel Grocott & family Coal & Iron Master

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely no need to apologise!  Thanks for having a look.  The tree you found looks familiar, though it's not mine.  I had not found Selina in 1861 previously, partly because I had assumed she was among the lost records.

My hope is that the entry of death for John Brown will say the informant was Mary Ann or one of his children or that it says he was a widow.

Thanks again
Dion

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dion,
Sorry I could not help further.
I worked in that area for a number of years. In the 1960/70s I was the factory manager of Clifford Williams, Hurst Hill, a trouser manufacturers for M&S, with very happy memories.
However the address of the factory was Bilston, in the area of Coseley, about half a mile from our Bank in Sedgley and just up the hill from Tipton. My route home took me through Dudley.

Regards
Colin

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin, just saw your post - my house is built on the site of the old Clifford Williams factory  :)  We have found all sorts of bits and pieces when digging the garden (presumably debris from the demolition of the factory), and under the front garden is tarmac!

Sorry Dion to but in on your thread.   I have been watching because it is local to me.  ;)

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jool & sorry Dion,
That is quite amazing. As you probably know the factory was built into the hill. You must have the longest and steepest back garden, depending how many houses were built of course, I expect it has changed beyond recognition? Is the Horse & Jockey still there?
In my day that factory employed nearly 400 of the best people anywhere, many were part time but there were about 280 equivalent full time workers. I kept in touch after the company moved me to Scotland but I guess your house has been there since the 1980s when the factory was relocated.

Good to hear from you, please pass on my regards to anyone that might know me from Hall Lane.

Kind regards

Colin Clarke