Author Topic: Folly Farm, Church Road, Monewden  (Read 3552 times)

Offline robIreland1968

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Folly Farm, Church Road, Monewden
« on: Sunday 14 December 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any records, photographs, illustrations of Folly Farm House, Folly Farm, just north of Church Road, Monewden between 1910 - 1950. My grandmother lived at Folly Farm between 1910's to 1930's. Her name was Grace Hilda Peck, her parents where John and Racheal Peck, she lived there with her two sisters Edna and Lal. She was a teacher at the local school and served at Sunday School (possibly the local church in Monewden).

I've found an aerial photograph from December 1945 where the farm house can be seen in the South East corner of the moated area, the farm house is surrounded by trees on four corners. To the west of the farm house are a number of farm house buildings including a large barn. The large barn was destroyed (c.1980's and was exported to the United States, East Coast). In all there are 9 outbuildings.

The farm house was destroyed (by the Army in the 1950's).

My nan remembered sitting at the windows and looking directly over the church, and there being a small, basic bridge across the moat.

Any help or pointers greatly received.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Folly Farm, Church Road, Monewden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 14 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

This site gives a list of the organisations that are members of the  Suffolk Local History Council.  There is one listed in Monewden who it might be worth contacting http://www.slhc.org.uk/docs/SocietyMembers.pdf   I presume you are already aware of the  Suffolk County Archeologists records of the site  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01edd/

It is also possible that English Heritage has photographs of the farm in their archive as part of their survey photography.   However I understand many can only be viewed at their Swindon offices https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/nmr/archives/photographs/   

Kay

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 December 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I do know the Local History Recorder at Monewden, a very knowledgeable man who will no doubt be able to help further. He is sometimes on here as 'Kettleburger', a reference to the village of Kettleburgh. 

If you have no luck in contacting him via Rootschat, I can PM his details.

SM ...
Former LHRs Secretary at SLHC
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline kettleburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Did you have any luck getting a photo of Folly farm, Monewden? I have one taken C 1880 showing the house with the then residents, the Pulham family outside. I also have a small photo, probably early 20th cent, on which is written "Sunny Peck and family" depicting a couple with two daughters.Any help? Kettleburgher.

Offline Dallinghoo girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 21:04 BST (UK) »
To Kettleburgher

I'm a descendant of John Peck Pulham and would love to see the photograph you mention of the Pulham family standing outside Folly Farm. Is there any way you could post it on the site? (I'm new to this particular site.)

with thanks for your help,
Dallinghoo girl